The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one ever used cattle panel sheds for horses ? I have a barn, but we have more beef steers then normal so they barns are occupied; if the weather gets harsh we will have to get a barn open but for late fall and light winter I think a cattle panel shelter could work ? But I am not for sure how tall they would be, I will use 16ft panels. Thanks!

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Sorry, but our horses and cattle were never provided with barns or sheds, just windbreaks. Given the situation, the price of cattle panels, and the time to set it up, it might be easier and cheaper to just get wind and water proof blankets for the horses. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the cattle panels already. They are used to a barn since I have owned them so I would like to still provide them with one, especially since we are supposed to have a pretty bad winter. I can't use blankets on them, they tear them off, rip them.. over all destroy them. They really don't like blankets lol.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Depends on how wide you make it. I made a small on last winter and it was tall enough for a horse but I couldn't tell you how wide it was. If its going to be a temp. And your gonna take it down BE CAREFUL when you do. They will be spring loaded and where they cut the wire its sharp. When I took mine down it sprang at my fave and I put my hand out and cut it bad.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Wow that's scary Jessica84!

I would think as long as you make the shelter long enough and tall enough for the horse to go into it would be better than nothing. Blankets and sheets are nice but they're no substitute for a nice shelter the horse can get out of the rain, wind, or snow in. You could just hang some hay bags in there to motivate them to stay in and that would probably do it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has any one ever used cattle panel sheds for horses ? I have a barn, but we have more beef steers then normal so they barns are occupied; if the weather gets harsh we will have to get a barn open but for late fall and light winter I think a cattle panel shelter could work ? But I am not for sure how tall they would be, I will use 16ft panels. Thanks!
I've seen them where the cattle panels are attached to pallets. This would add extra height for horses.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If you are planning on doing just cattle panels attached to the ground with augers then it will not be tall enough for horses. I use some cattle panels covered with a tarp attached with augers securing them to the ground and that works great for sheep, goats and llamas but not for horses. Now if you do like they did in that picture with building walls up to a good height and then securing the cattle panels it could work possibly but I would worry if your horses are like mine (they like to rub necks on the corners of their wood run-ins) they could very well hurt themselves on the panels. I have 3 sided run-in sheds out in the fields for our horses. They decide when they want to be up and when to be out. You can see what would work for you but if it was my horses I would not be able to use the cattle panels for that type of use, but as my husband says horse just try to hurt themselves any chance they get around here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts