The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I just had one abort because of bad feed. You can take them in to the vet and they can run tests to see what happened. There are lots of reasons to choose from unfortunately, so the test Can be really valuable. If it is infectious you would want to know. If you didn't save the fetuses call your vet anyway to see what he recommends. You may want to do a preventative course of antibiotics in case it is clamidia (sp?) or toxoplasmosis and your vet can tell you which one to use.

·
Registered
30,593 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll check out the website. Don't think it's the feed cause that's one of the first things we thought of. I know there are a lot of different reasons, but thought if I saw something that stuck out I might prevent any more. Hubby found the babies and didn't save them. Everyone else seems ok. Now for the hard decisions....keep the doe for another year or sell her??? She threw twin doelings last year that are absolutely gorgeous....

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
be sure the area she aborted is not accessable tot he other goats...any time handling misscarried kids , fluids ect...shouldbe handled with gloves and shovels. Clean the ground well by scooping a few layers od dirt...then bleach the area and let air dry...if the cause is infectious, you dont want to spread it to the other goats

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Sorry, I wished I menetioned it sooner..dont know why I didnt lol....

she could have been hit...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts