Cause of Death?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, May 20, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hi,
    I found my 3 month old 88%boer wether, dead in his pen this morning. He had CD/T and booster, he had pellet dewormer a few weeks ago. I had added a pinch (literally) of Calf Manna, to a handful of COB. The other goats might have injured him? -- he was acting slow and sluggish the day before, and i had found him laying down on his side, flailing and screaming, i set him back up and he had a normal temp, gave him Nutri Drench, and he walked right over to his momma. any ideas on what this could be?

2. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Sound like urinary calculi to me especially with him laying on his side and flailing. Those are symptoms we had in goats with that problem.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the only thing I know that quickly kills is Pasterella pnuemonia - eventhough he had his CD/T and booster they still can get enterotoxemia (Sp?) How old was he when you gave him his first shot?

UC is possible though :shrug:

I am so sorry you lost him :hug: not knowing why has got to be the toughest part

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'm so sorry that you lost him - it sounds especially bad.
    Unfortunately with goats the are a few things that can cause that kind of pain and death- bloat, enterotoxemia, some kinds of pneumonia, poisoning, etc. Anything that interrupts the ruman or intestinal function or puts pressure on the internal organs. Without more information it is hard to tell.

I know you would like to have the answer to keep this from happening again. I know this is hurtful for you and you have my sympathy. Please let us know if you do find out what happened.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I am so sorry for your loss :hug:

They flail and cry with entero, UC usually involves a lot of stretching and stressing to pee, yelling to if it is really bad. Cocci can kill that fast too.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Wow, I am very sorry that you lost him. I have to agree with the others. It would be kind of hard to believe it would be UC. He might be a little to young for that. I was thinking Bloat or Floppy Kid. I was trying to look up the age that is to old to get it.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks guys, -- to staceyroop-- he was 30 days old when he got his first CD/T and 2 weeks after, he got a booster. thanks again.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that is a little to young for the CD/T to be effective from what i read. THey need to be at least 6 weeks old for the first shot. Something about the milk from the mom hindering the kids ability to create antibodies which is what they need to do when given the vaccine. wether it was the cause or not it is something to note for your other goats

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    On CDT.

If mom got a shot 2-4 weeks before delivery then the baby gets one at two weeks. Then they get another one 4 weeks after that.

If mom did NOT get a shot then the baby would need another one 4 weeks after the second shot.

If you give a CDT less then two weeks, it will not do any good. They do not have the ability to utilize it just yet.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    interesting,

The doe didnt get a shot before she kidded, i was worried about where on a pregnant doe would be best to vaccinate?

I'm, thinking about seling the dam anyway, she is picky about her bucks, i took her to 3 other bucks, but she only took one, the fisrt time she kidded, she killed both of the kids, the second time (this time) she neglected the doeling, and she was so small and weak, she died, then her other kid (this wether) died. I'm thinking of selling, or should i give her another chance? :shrug:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I give the CD/T shot in the shoulder or the neck

As to the doe, depends on a couple things but if you are willling to work iwth her querks then try again if not then sell her. Do you have time to pull kids and bottle feed if she rejects them? Do you have an oppotunity to breed her to that same buck she liked? Were her kids worth this extra trouble?

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well, what nice is, the buck that she likes, is owned by me. so that works well, she can deliver the kids, and nurture them, but feeding them; she gets annoyed with them always hungry, and weans them too early. so good points. i'll consider both options