The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad drove the tractor into the pasture a few days ago to feed. His hay forks were tilted all the way up and they were above the heads of the cows. He watched in front and there were NO cows in front of him. He turned to look behind him to drop the feed from the feeder on the back of the tractor, and he felt a bump.
When he turned back around he saw a gruesome sight. He had impaled our bull with the forks!! He let the forks down and unstuck him. The bull (Titus) walks off to finished his food.
We are still not sure how he impaled himself. He is bigger then the other cows but still not tall enough to reach the forks. Now they did NOT go all the way through him! They stabbed into the muscle behind his hip bone and went at angle all the way up and out.
We let him be for the day until we could get to the vet and find out what to do. Meanwhile Titus is walking with a limp but otherwise is acting pretty good. He is almost 8 years old after all. Some information about Titus is that he is HUGE. He can’t fit into the squeeze chute because of his size. Next is that he is very very gentle. We have given him shots in the pasture before with no restraint. So he is just a gentle giant.
Yesterday we got him in the barn and gave him two shots from the vet. He looks like he will be ok since he is walking nearly without a limp now. It’s the first time we’ve ever given him special treatment so he is enjoying the sweet feed a lot.
Our best guess on how he impaled himself like that is he bucked when he passed the forks and just kinda hooked himself on them in the hip.
That was very long so congrats on finishing reading it lol. I just wanted to share a warning to watch out for cows and hay forks!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
What a big handsome boy!

I've learned with livestock, that if something can go wrong, it will. If something looks safe, it probably isn't because all farm animals seem to be born with suicidal ideations.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which breed is he?
He is a registered Santa Gertrudis. We've had him since he was about a year old. It's Soooo sad though cause we just bought a new bull and so now we have to sale Titus. We were about to sell him but since he got those shots he can't be sold for a month. He has many years of service left in him but we just need different blood lines. At least we can have him for a while longer.

·
Super Moderator
32,152 Posts
I agree..hes a handsome dude!! And a giant! Glad he's doing well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts