Caviar-2 bucklings on 3/17/2011

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by EstellaMA, Feb 12, 2011.

1. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Caviar is a pygmy. I have her due date as March 16 from the day I saw my buck showing interest, but I think maybe he was just on a roll after my Ober being in heat. He may had done his job with Caviar her heat 3 weeks before? Picture is from today. Sorry about the quality, but they were taken with a cell phone camera and through a double pane glass window:) I rarely remember to take the camera or phone out with me outside. To me she doesn't look like she has room for 32 more days of baby growth? Her udder is very noticable now through her winter shag. I haven't found many pygmy udder pictures to compare too. She spent most of her day hiding away, but that may had been because of a storm coming in.. it didn't stop the other goats from braving the wind to munch on grass though. Also Nemo, the father, nigerian dwarf, a couple of weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Re: Caviar

I don't know enough to have an opinion about this, but she sure does look round. I love her name. And your buck is really cute.

Jan

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

She looks like a very pregnant girl! Since pygmies tend to be short and wide, the baby belly tends to be even more pronounced. Since you think she may have settled 3 weeks before you saw Nemo showing interest, use that date as well to get 145 days, mini's tend to go before 150, also depending on how many kids she's had before, the belly ligs tend to stretch, giving the illusion (and hope) of multiple kids.

With my past pygmy doe...her udder would literally be massive for her body, she had a very nice well attached udder that started growing 4 weeks before she was due and literally would triple in size the day she'd deliver.

4. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Here she is last April for body comparison. This is her first kidding with me, I believe she had kidded once or twice before I got her, but they didn't give me any details.

Definately not letting Nemo run with the girls this year:)

Thanks for the input.

Attached Files:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Very nice.... :thumb: :hi5:

6. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri

I second that one. Next year I'm taking the doe's to the buck to be bred let them breed then take her back to the pasture. The first buck we had we let run with the girls and we were lucky to catch a couple of the breedings :eek:hlala: , On the others we just caught messy tails and never seen them in heat. So we have a couple of ???? for due dates and it kills me. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out when they will kid with a due date.

7. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Caviar today:) 119 days? Still watching her closely in case it's 140. Blah:) She was waiting for me to walk away from the carport my rabbits live in. She ended up squirted with the hose about 10 minutes later when I caught her head butting a jfeeder because she couldn't reach the rabbit food from the top.

Attached Files:

8. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Caviar's bottom:) day 122 or 143

Attached Files:

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009

I have no idea. But she sure is cute. I think you will have to keep watch twice, if it isn't yet.

Jan

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

:p She looks like she's a SASSY girl! Such an expression on her face!

Well...I'm going to say that she likely is due with the later date, her udder growth looks right for being due in a little more than a month.

Even if she is a "sudden filler" she doesn't have the dropped look of a doe close to delivery.
    I am anxious to see her babies! I breed pygmy/nigie cross kids and all I ever get are either agouti pattern like Caviar or black kids with frosted ears and noses....I'm betting that you get Agouti babies :wink:

11. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Yeah, I'm figuring the later date too, but still keeping an eye on her now. She's a bratty thing for sure:) Boss of everyone else (except Nemo), which is funny because she will end up the smallest member of the herd.

12. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Poor Caviar just waddles around grunting and pointing her horns at all the other goats these days. Doesn't even have to involve food anymore, she just doesn't want anyone near her. Not the best picture, sun glare got in the way. Don't let the sun fool you, it's freezing out there...

Attached Files:

13. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Ok, got a somewhat better picture of Caviar's rear end today. Day 133?

Attached Files:

14. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Day 138?

Attached Files:

• tgs1.jpg
      tgs1.jpg
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
  15. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada

she looks ready to go soon! good luck!

16. snyder1973

snyder1973 Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Lorimor, Ia

My pygmy just gave birth on wednesday and she looked just like that except her bag was probably triple that size. We were for sure that she had triplets or more and she had two HUGE healthy kids. Good luck!

17. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009

I bet she will be glad to have that over with. I've had some that looked that big this year, and they seem so much more comfortable now.

Jan

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Her udder is definately filling!! My beloved late pygmy doe Dolly always looked like Caviar the last weeks of her pregnancies...very round and very moody!

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

She is looking good, but I believe she has a bit more to go also.

20. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Most definately moody. She goes from not careing that the other goats are around to lunging and chasing them down. As best she can that is, she really isn't very quick anymore. Today she's walking about grunting and poking her sides with her horns. She keeps taking herself over to the big plastic dog crate that my 3 oldest babies get locked in at night (they still want to come in the garage at night, but break out of their baby pen and the garage isn't for roaming goats, so they get locked in) and laying in there. Nothing to cause me to loose any extra sleep over, but definately keeping an eye on her and doing an extra check at night before I hit bed.