Cccsaw ranch waiting room

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by CCCSAW, Aug 16, 2020.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So sorry for the loss. :(

Hope things will be OK. :hug:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Wow I’m so sorry for what you went through. I definitely agree with culling her. I am in the process of culling a few myself. The boy might sale as a 4-H or FFA show goat if he is full blood.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    My kids do 4-h and honestly looking at the boy so far the only thing he will have going for him at fair would be the sympathy plea of a rough start to life. It will be up to my boy though. He could show well and possibly bring in a reasonable price but he won't place well for market class. Either way though we have months to decide still and I can certainly get a backup wether just incase

4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I'm so sorry you lost the doeling. I'm glad you went to the vet! I'm glad you made it through also. Be sure and let us know how they and you are doing. Congrats on the buckling.

5. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Vet update:

Baby is doing good and he is nursing. Meridia is a little weak in the back legs and trying to lay down more then they would like. She had oxytocin and some pain meds this morning and the placentas are moving but she hasn't dropped them yet... im probably going to wait until my husband gets off work before we pick them up just because my stress levels have been too high this past few weeks.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Glad the buckling and doe are doing well! Good News!

8. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I am glad you were able to save the buckling.

Sorry that you lost the doeling.

9. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Meridia and baby boy are home. Meridia is super mad about being in the pen but she's still weak in the back legs. She will have to get over it because she has to stay in the pen for at least 10 days. I have to do temp checks at least once a day and pain meds in the morning for 7 days and she has an antibiotic for the 8th. I dont recall what he gave her its on the receipt but he said it's long lasting. I do need to check on her and baby every few hours as he has been nursing but doesn't quite have it down yet and she's being a brat because of course she's uncomfortable. So right now we will just keep an eye on everything. She still hasn't fully dropped the placentas so I may have to call tomorrow afternoon but he said give her 48 hours.

Attached Files:

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They look good.

11. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Love that paint buckling. He is gorgeous! Mama looks good too!

12. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Baby did nurse well at 6 but I did have to tie Meridia up because she didn't want to deal with me. I'm not sure how much she is letting him nurse on his own but is she responsive to his crystal. I do know her left teat is tender right now, I'm going to try to get him to latch on that side at about 8, maybe if I can get him latched he can relieve any pressure if not I may have to try to milk her out a little in the morning. He seems to have good strength and energy right now so I do think he is at least getting enough i need to get a better scale to weigh him so I can keep track.

13. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Great news the side I said was tender earlier (tender and a little tight) was nice and soft this evening and not as tender, also he did try to latch but he wasn't really interested and actually felt pretty full like similar to after I got him to feed well at 6. So at least I'm confident he is nursing in his own i just need to make sure he is getting enough. I might opt for hourly checks just to make sure he is atheist full is untill i get a better scale. We are still dealing with the placentas, but I will call the vet tomorrow if needed. She's still wobbly in the back i might give her some b complex tomorrow, she is eating but I do feel like she may not be eating enough right now. She has a flake of alfalfa and a pound of grain free choice right now. I can add some all stock sweet feed and I might have molasses too, i also might have some left over dyne. So I'll take a look in the morning.

Focus:
    Placentas
    Energy and strength for Meridia
    Making sure baby is well feed

14. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Meridia did drop some of the placenta, at least what had been hanging out. Her temp was 101.5 this morning, it was a cool night. Baby did try to nurse this morning but she either didn't have the strength or patience to wait for him to figure it out, but i felt like she did try to give him a chance. He wasn't completely empty but definitely needed some help so I tied her up again. And let him fill up. He is already so use to assistance that he's looking for fingers not teats. So once I got him to find the teat and was confident she wasn't going to try to sit down right away i backed off and just let him keep trying until he was done. I gave both mom and baby nutidrench and oral b vitamins, I put some molasses and nutidrench in her goat feed, oh and she she got her pain meds this morning, they gave us meloxicam 15mg tablets for 7 days. She's still weak in the back and is dragging her right hoot a little. I just feel like these next few days are going to be a struggle to keep her strong and going for him. She is nibbling at her feed and hay but hasn't eaten much in my opinion.

Here is a few pictures of the little guy this morning

Attached Files:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are going to have to milk some out of the sore side.
    She won't allow him to nurse from that side being sore like that, it really does hurt.
    If you milk her some, she will feel a lot better, then you can put him on that side.
    I know she doesn't like it but, you must do it to prevent mastitis and disowning of the kid. And keep an eye on her udder, when she gets tight again milk out some.

Go out every 2 hours and make sure he nurses, feel his tummy or weigh him to ensure he is getting enough.

If the weather is cold at night or day, I would put out a heat lamp for the baby until I am sure, he is strong enough and nursing well.

They both look great. The baby is adorable. :)

16. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Thank you. The sore side was better when we checked last night, and he felt fullish, she is letting him nurse some but I don't think she is letting him nurse enough without help. I got his tummy full this morning but forgot to take the scale with me, I just let him nurse to he seemed done. I'm about to go back down and see if he needs to nurse again. I'm thinking when I come back up ill start a new thread for him and her.

17. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    toth boer goats likes this.
  18. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Here are Banshee's kids they decided to inspect the protein pail
    20201006_085836.jpg

19. Tanya