CD/T for preg does

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by The1moe, Jan 2, 2011.

1. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I purchased a few preg does but do not know when they were mated. I have read that one should administer CD/T to the doe 6 weeks prior to kidding so she can pass on to the kids the immunization. Without knowing when she mated how can I determine when it is best to give her this type immunization to ensure the kids are somewhat protected prior to birth? I believe her udder is starting to get bigger along with her teats... thanks guys...

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its more like 4 weeks before kidding but if the doe has never or you dont know if she has ever had her CD/T shot then I suggest you give the CD/T now and then again in 3weeks - that should put you at about 4 weeks before kidding from the sounds of it

3. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Thanks Stacey, Will have to head out to the TSC tomorrow and pick some up along with some needles and syringes... this should be interesting...

4. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Whenever I give an injection to any of my goats I try to calm them down then rub where I am going to give the injection a little at first then harder . Then once I give the injection I rub around the site and comfort the goat more then give them a treat. It seems to calm them more. I also use the yellow needltes that TSC sells. I think they are 1/2" long and are the 20 guage. These have seemed to do me well. I am getting ready to switch to the 22 guage needles for the kids. Smaller diameter.

GL

Tom