CD/T leaving nasty bumps

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RedLotusNigerians, Apr 18, 2014.

1. RedLotusNigerians

RedLotusNigerians Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Sooooo does anyone know which company makes the CD/T that DOESN'T leave a huge, nasty lump after injection?

I am really super sick of the stuff I've got. Everyone I've given it to gets a big lump at the injection site that more often than not bursts and sloughs off later on :veryangry: I thought there was a company in Colorado that made the formula that had less chance of leaving a bump, but I can't remember the name.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Do you use Bar Vac? It leaves lumps in some & not so much others. If you rub injection site briskly it does not seem to leave as large a lump.
    You might want to try Calvary 9.;)

3. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    I just checked mine, its duravet brand. I have never had any issues with it.

4. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    I have both Bar-Vac and Duravet, no reactions to either one.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I am beginning to think some goats are more susceptible then others to lumps.....I used both barvac and Colorado and some got lumps while others didnt....being sure to get through all layers of skin is important..

6. In_Clover

In_Clover New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    SW Ohio
    You're probably thinking of the Colorado Serum Company. I use their CD +T, and I've had two goat develop bumps after giving it behind the elbow (SQ.) It could be that some individual goats are just more prone to reacting (like one of my does). Or, perhaps the injection site and what Happy Bleats said about getting it through all the skin layers. When I haven't done that, the vacc. will sit below the surface of the skin in a raised patch. Eventually it's absorbed, but still, I needed to get it below better. Bumps might even have to do from allergies to preservatives used.

7. In_Clover

In_Clover New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    SW Ohio
    Does the Durvet one have a little Goat Picture on it, from Tractor Supply? If so, I believe it is made by Colorado Serum company for Durvet. I talked to Colorado Serum Co. on the phone once, and the fellow said they make a lot of vaccs. for other companies, too.

8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I've used quite a few different brands and never had this issue except when I don't get through all the skin layers. Maybe try using just a slightly longer needle and see if that helps?

9. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    Yeah, it has both names on it. Although it came from Del's (west coast), not TSC.

10. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    I've also used Bar Vac with very few problems. I think I had 1, maybe 2 lumps out of 42 injections last year. Don't use Covexin 8 - I used that the first year and I had injection site lumps and abscesses out the wazoo! Did some research and discovered that Black Leg (included in Covexin 8) has a high chance of causing both.

11. RedLotusNigerians

RedLotusNigerians Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks for the responses folks!

It's the Bar-Vac that I'm using. I wasn't getting nearly as many sterile abscesses with a bottle I had prior to this one :( I also talked to a friend and she said she was suddenly getting lots of injection bumps from her latest bottle of Bar-Vac CD/T. I wonder if they've adjusted something in the formula.

I'll try using longer needles and rubbing even more briskly than I usually do after injection. Maybe I'll even try sterilizing the site with a little rubbing alcohol first? I'm just so upset because I plan to show one of these does in about four weeks and I don't know if the bump is going to go away in time or not. I don't want people thinking she's got something :(

12. nigies4ever

nigies4ever Haley

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    I know this is an older thread...but I am curious to know what you all think about this. My 3 month old La Mancha doeling has a lump under the skin on top of her ribs (I'm pretty sure it was the injection site) that I just noticed today. She got her last of the 3 CD/T vaccines I think two and a half weeks ago. Do you think this is the vaccine, or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like injection site.

14. nigies4ever

nigies4ever Haley

Sep 18, 2012
    California

Okay, what should I do?

15. ksalvagno

Nothing. It should go away on its own. May take a while though.

16. nigies4ever

nigies4ever Haley

Sep 18, 2012
    California

Alright, thank you so much

17. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    I know this is older, but I was trying to research before asking more dumb questions...

I gave my first CDT shots ever about a month ago to my Boer crosses. I actually did my two does at different times since I was a little unsure (as were they) as I have only ever done IM injections. I looked into it ahead of time, used 3/4 18 gauge needle, doused hair area with alcohol then rubbed injection area with alcohol wipe. Injected SQ right armpit, being sure not to have any blood before injected. And rubbed, rubbed, rubbed. first, no lump. But now there's a small one.

One the second doe (who's not quite due for the second shot yet), is a huge lump, bigger than the pad of my thumb, prob near quarter size! It doesn't appear to bother her, but I'm sick that it's from the shot I gave her. Surely, it's too large not to be a problem!

I was planning on doing the second shot in the other armpit, but is there something else I can do next time? I had read a suggestion to do 1 ml in each armpit instead of one 2 ml injection, but skipped it cause it was another shot. Now I wish I had.

Should I be concerned about a reaction that size? Is it an infection that needs treated? It's for sure exactly where I gave her the shot so I'm not concerned about CL abscesses even if they were likely in does this young.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  18. ksalvagno

What brand did you use?

19. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    Bar Vac CDT, just the 3 way, not one of the 8-9 way vaccines

20. ksalvagno