CD/T predelivery question?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Laurel_Haven, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I was going through my health records this evening and I noticed that I missed one does predelivery CD/T injection. I routinely give all pregger does a CD/T booster 4 weeks before kidding. Somehow I missed this one doe and now she is at 14 days before her 145 due date.
    She is current and doesn't really need a booster until May, it was the babies I was trying to protect.

My question is... Can I still give her the CD/T and it have enough time to produce antibodies in her milk for the babies... or is it too late now with only 14 days or so before delivery? Would it be a waste at this point or still effective on the babies? :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do believe it needs to be a month prior

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I wouldn't fret to much - everyone of my previous kiddings last year - no one received the injection prior to kidding - it just totally slipped my mind. :shrug:

4. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    You MIGHT make it...it's generally accepted that the antibodies take 14 days to become effective...so a slightly higher dose may make it into the colostrum. Especially if she kids closer to 150 days.

I'd go ahead and give the shot - can't HURT.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh it certainly wouldnt hurt and I have given CD/T shot a month prior and ones without the shot at all with no issues.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone! :)

I read your posts and decided to just give it to her now anyway... better late then never I guess...

Now because of it being late, do you think I should go ahead and dose the kids anyway before they are disbudded at 8-10 days old?

8. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    On that doe's kids, yup, I would do the antitoxin.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just make sure you have 3 weeks between the antitoxin and the toxoid - for the kids that is (once they are born)