CD/T Schedule

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Farmer Gab, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    I am interested in knowing what schedule is most common amongst goat owners for CD/T shots - for kids and adults. Also, do you immunize wether kids that are bound for butchering?

THANKS!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Here I do the does at 4 months of pregnancy...and usually do the yearly in Jan/Feb so I plan breedings around that(and the weather too) Kids I have given 1st dose at 4 weeks and the second one at 7 weeks but , now that I know more I plan on doing kids at 5 and 8 weeks....as far as wethers bound for the freezer thats up to you...do you want to give them the protection til they get there or not ...meat withdrawal is like a month after you inject it.

3. rlittlecritters

rlittlecritters New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    Kids---6 weeks and 10 weeks
    Adults--yearly and/or 4th month of pregnancy

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    instead of doing the covexin8 you could jsut give CD Antitoxin which gives immunity right away for up to 3 weeks i believe it is.

I give the CD/T to kids at 6 weeks and then 21 to 28 days later as stated on the bottle. I try to give a shot to the moms 4 weeks before kidding as their annual shot

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  7. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Here, it's Covexin 8 at 8 wks and 16 wks. Does get it annually at 4 months gestation (sometimes twice a year if someone didn't settle at first or something and had to be re-bred). All the bucks get it in the spring. I also usually give a 2cc booster when I sell an adult because a long time LaMancha breeder told me that the risk of entero is higher when changing homes/feeds/climates....Fortunately, I've not had to deal with it yet but it's one of those things I will go to GREAT lengths to avoid.

After a few years, I switched from Covexin 8 for a while because the vet said I would get fewer abcess reactions at the injection site with the OTC stuff. Bar Vac - I think. I still had reactions and felt I was getting less protection so I went back to Covexin 8.

HTH,
    Kristen