cd/t shot question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Aug 9, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I know I should know this, but with everything we have going on, I can't find my notes! And don't have time right now to surf the net.

If you get goats who have never had a cd/t, how long do you wait to give them the 2nd shot?
    One goat we got a couple of months ago got his at the end of June, and never had one previously. I just got a doe a couple of weeks ago and we gave her the shot a couple of days ago.

Also, the goat kids will be needing their first shot in a few weeks (8 weeks old in a few weeks), how long should I wait to give the second shot? I do remember reading 6 weeks after the first one, but thought I'd get opinions here on what you all do.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    21-28 days after the first dose then every year after it's just a singel shot.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    ^Yep...agree with Liz.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks, I will make a note in my records for when they need their 2nd shots. The buckling is getting his today.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    For babies that mom DID GET their shot, like Liz said, 21-28 days old then a second in another 21-28 days.

If mom DID NOT get her CDT shot then they need one more 21-28 days after the second one.

Mom should have hers 2-4 weeks before she kids. If you have a goat that you have no idea if they ever received one before then I would do two of the CDT 21-28 days apart, just to be safe. That is what I always do.

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thank You Lori. We didn't know the due date for our 2 does that kidded last month, so they got theirs one week before one kidded, and a week and a half for the other one, so that's great info to have.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others... :thumb: