The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've had goats for 5 years and have never gave them CD&T but this year I might try it? has anyone had anything bad happen after a shot? & can something go wrong?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also Copper bolus i think my doe needs copper but my mom has been reading things about it like a guy said "I asked the vet if my goats needed copper and they said "yes" And I gave it to them and some of my goats died but they were fine before." so I would also like to know if something bad can happen to her if I gave it to her Thanks. so yeah ill post pics of her hair

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sometimes there will be a small knot at the sight of the CD/T shot. Give it subq. Make sure you follow up with the booster 30 days later. It is probably the most important shot you can give your goat in my opinion. It's so inexpensive, easy, and prevents a world of heartache. If you copper bolus your goats, make sure you are using the correct bolus. I use the UltraCruz goat copper bolus (4grams per bolus recommended for goats over 50 lbs or 3 months of age). As far as a goat dying from a copper bolus, I've never heard of that, however, I suppose if they were given the wrong size bolus, it could be harmful. Sheep are a lot more copper sensitive than goats so I could understand that not being good for them.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes there will be a small knot at the sight of the CD/T shot. Give it subq. Make sure you follow up with the booster 30 days later. It is probably the most important shot you can give your goat in my opinion. It's so inexpensive, easy, and prevents a world of heartache. If you copper bolus your goats, make sure you are using the correct bolus. I use the UltraCruz goat copper bolus (4grams per bolus recommended for goats over 50 lbs or 3 months of age). As far as a goat dying from a copper bolus, I've never heard of that, however, I suppose if they were given the wrong size bolus, it could be harmful. Sheep are a lot more copper sensitive than goats so I could understand that not being good for them.
Ok thanks! If you could give me your opinion on the pics I just took at the top of the page that would be great. I think she needs copper

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,194 Posts
Copper is given if needed..and by the goats weight. Yes if you give too much copper it can kill them. It helps with building resistance to worm load. Alot of goats have rough coats, rusty color instead of black or true red color.
Yes CD&T is very important.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Copper is given if needed..and by the goats weight. Yes if you give too much copper it can kill them. It helps with building resistance to worm load. Alot of goats have rough coats, rusty color instead of black or true red color.
Yes CD&T is very important.
Well i know about ( Alot of goats have rough coats, rusty color instead of black or true red color.) my goat Scarlett has a rough coat and it biracks when i pet her! i don't really know why tho.... Also it hasn't been that way

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,194 Posts
I have meat goats..Boers, kiko,x boers,myotonics & Tennessee meat goats. My girls get faded in their colors, and dry brittle hair. Looks like they were put in a dryer. 🙃 So when they do I give them copper. And then I wait a couple of weeks to see if its changeing their color and hair condition. I slso live in a selenium deficient area. So I have to give them selenium gel too.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have meat goats..Boers, kiko,x boers,myotonics & Tennessee meat goats. My girls get faded in their colors, and dry brittle hair. Looks like they were put in a dryer. 🙃 So when they do I give them copper. And then I wait a couple of weeks to see if its changeing their color and hair condition. I slso live in a selenium deficient area. So I have to give them selenium gel too.
I give mine selenium every 30 days most of the time. They aren't deficient or anything I just like keeping them UTD on it!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do y'all think I should CD&T my goats? If so what brand? Or talk to the vet first?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My vet who has her own says cd&t is the most important vaccine... Given annually..
I guess im just scared to try it and one of my goats get sick or something but you guy are making me wanna do it this year! But what brand?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yes I understand! Maybe contact your vet if their up on goats They should know... Just not many are. Mine says some different things than the forum sometimes though so it's hard to decide who to go with. We all want what's best for our babies .

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you are near a tractor supply, they carry the CD/T vaccine. I'm not sure of the brand name. If not, then your local feed store probably has it. I don't think the brand is as important as the fact that you just give it to them. It will be in the refrigerated section. Also, if you are not already, you might want to put out free choice loose minerals. I have found that makes a big difference in the overall condition of my goats. I use Purina goat mineral and have been pleased with it. One last thing, you might want to consider getting fecals done on your goats. A heavy worm load can cause a rough coat.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I understand! Maybe contact your vet if their up on goats They should know... Just not many are. Mine says some different things than the forum sometimes though so it's hard to decide who to go with. We all want what's best for our babies .
I have a great vet that knows a lot about goats cuz they are a big animal vet

1 - 20 of 27 Posts