The Goat Spot Forum banner

CDT Abscess

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NigerianDwarfOwner707 
2 weeks ago I gave my 2 pregnant goats a CDT vaccine. I'm nervous with needles and I really had to work up my courage to do this. First doe went great. Then I went to do goat #2 and I could barely pinch up any skin also her hair was so thick I could barely see what I was doing. It felt like I couldn't get the needle through her skin all the way. I ended up panicking and had to poke her about 5 times and finally got the needle in her, it didn't feel like it was all the way in but the vaccine went in so I figured it was okay. I checked for abscesses for the next couple days but didn't see any so again I thought I was fine.

Today I was petting doe #1 and felt a little bit of unevenness under her skin were I gave the shot. It was long and not very noticeable at all. Almost felt like a rib if I wasn't paying close attention. So I decided to check doe #2 who is a little more standoffish anyways. She had a huge scab and raised bump where I did the injection.

The wound doesn't seem to be infected, if it is puss then it is deep inside the lump. It was completely scabbed over until I tried inspecting it. I have treated it with betadine. Is there anything else I should do other than keeping an eye on it? She's acting normally but she's due to kid in 2 weeks so I'm extra stressed about it.

Also, has anyone ever had a hard time getting a needle through a particular goats skin? I plan to shave the area before trying next year but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 196213 View attachment 196215 View attachment 196217
it should be just fine left alone. Knots happen sometimes with it. Just keep an eye on it and if it tuptures clean and take care of it then. The knot may go away, it may not compleyely go away or it may stay the same size then one day poof gone. You didntdo anything wrong.
As far as the stick goes.... make sure to use a new needle every goat. They can dull fast and with you sticking five times it may have just been a bad needle to start with. The longer part of the point should be against the skin with the bevel outward. Makes it easier to stick that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.