cdt and wethering...ahhh im so LOST....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lizzy_18, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    so i sold all 3 of my nigerian bucks on the bottle to people.....

and i read and called the vet and everyone said that at 2 to 3 weeks old you give them their 1st booster CDT shot. But because of my grandma passing away i was unable to go to her house and administer the shot myself so she took them to the vet and he said that 2 to 3 weeks of age is to young..whats up with that? is he right? :scratch: :scratch:
    :ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:
    and as for wethering i was told 6 weeks of age for nigerians because they have a smaller urinary (sp?) track so you can do it younger without it interfering.
    but 2 different vets said 6 months old...and 4 months old and the one who said 4 months said have them cut not banded.
    so whats the deal on wethering for nigerians...same different? cut dont cut? age...ahhhhhh im soooooo confused... :GAAH: :hair: :GAAH:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    everyone has their preferences but for CD/T it needs to be 6-8 weeks for the first shot then the booster 3-4 weeks later

wethering -- I wether at 8 weeks with the band - some need it done earlier becasue they are big.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Vets tend not to band. They always want to put the goat under and cut them. Not sure why as banding is a lot less stressful.

4. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    I agree with Stacy on CD/T.

I try to band as late as possible. I raise Boers and they tend to have problems with UC if banded too early...I go overboard the other way (3-4 mo old). The scrotum is really big but I can usually squeeze one testee up over the other and wiggle the bander up. Just make sure both testees are below the band when you release it!

5. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I agree ... hardly any stress at all. A Vet needs to make money and make sure the job is done so they tend to do it surgically.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I give CD/T at 6 weeks and band between 6 1/2- 7 weeks... I've never had a problem or even had any of the new owners tell me they've had problems with UC.

7. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

They put them under? When i was in prevet program at Cornell, we did baby pigs, sheep and calves - we NEVER put them under - quick slice, pulled them out, scraped the 'connection' and sprayed with antiseptic. It was over and done with quickly, back to mom and all went well. I can't recall when the calves and sheep were done, but I worked at the swine barn for about 6 months, and they were done when they were only a few days old. Our instructors told us that the anethesia was too hard on the babies (granted this was 20+ years ago, and they were probably still circumcising human babies w/o anethesia at the time, but still, i thought it was like the dehorning - the most stress is from taking them away from mom.)

I thought kids were banded at 6 weeks - can't they impregnate their mom at 7 weeks?

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    correct - anesthesia is hard on baby goats but your normal dog adn cat vet will want to use it one for the money angle and the other because thats how they do everything

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yes. every large animal vet around here wants to wait until they are at least 8 to 10 weeks old and they will put them under for it.
    beth

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    8 weeks at the norm for most. There was a Vet seminar regarding how young to band and the ideal age to prevent UC is 6 months.

younger than 8 weeks doesn't give the urinary tract to fully develop. 8 weeks is risky enough as it is...UC is a pain to deal with.

11. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I have heard between 4 to 6 months for UC pervention. I I know that I will only band this year if some one asks for it other wise I will tell them to wait and have them banded/cut by the vet later. I know of 3 wethers that had to be put down this year to UC. All where pets. :tears:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my BUCK got UC and he was fully functioning!

I think its very much diet and hereditary and not banding related - Just my opinion

I heard that if wethered their urinary tract "shrinks" back because the hormones arnt there as they would be if they were a buck.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have to agree Stacey....my kids have ALWAYS been banded at 6-7 weeks and they've been healthy..... also, my mom has a herd of 4 Togg wethers and 1 Boer wether...all were banded at 4 weeks by the breeder 4 years ago and they've all been fine.

14. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    The urethra stops growing when banded making it harder to pass naturally the calcium that clumps together in the bladder.