CDT Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, May 23, 2008.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Hi all, I need to vaccinate my kids who were born 5/2/08. My question is this: since we gave them a Tetanus Toxoid shot at disbudding, will it harm them to give them the CD&T? They are now 3 weeks old and I'm not sure whether to go ahead or wait a little longer. Also, this is our first time leaving the kids on mama. Without bottle feeding, how do I get di-methox into them to prevent coccidia? All help is appreciated! Thanks, Brooke

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm not sure on the CD&T but the Di-Methox I'm pretty sure you can give that in a syringe orally. Cocci meds generally should not be put in milk since it can alter the effectiveness.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have always heard that a kid doesn't really respond to vaccinations until they are about 8 weeks old- I would really like some authoritative confirmation of that though.
    I just gave my 10 week old kids their first vaccination. As the initial shot is 5 cc's, it was rather a big shot for the youngsters. The follow up shot is only 2 ccs as is the annual booster after that. I think that that big an initial shot on a really young kid might be hard on them. By the way the does were vaccinated just prior to the kids birth.

By the way, I rubbed the injection sites for about 15 seconds guite vigorously and could feel the material spread out as I did it- no lump!

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    You need to wait 21 days after giving the tetnus toxoid before you give the C,D & T shot or it will cancel out the toxoid. There really is no easy way to get cocci meds into a baby but adding snow cone syrup to it helps it go down easier.

5. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Im ix my cocci meds with waffle/pancake syrup. It helps them take it alot better.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    P put a little molassas in the liquid Sulmet in the syringe and my kids don't seem to mind it much- at least they swallow it without any spit back but I still have to catch them to do it.

7. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Wow, you guys have such great ideas! I will be starting the di-meth this weekend I believe, and thanks for the heads-up on the CD/T; I had a feeling I should wait a bit. Has anyone used the injectable Ivermectin? The people we bought Cohosh from gave him an injection the day we brought him home. He was 3 months. Have you used it and has it been effective? I know there are always lots of opinions about wormers, but I have never injected it before. I've used the paste and Hoegger's Compound. Thanks, Brooke

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wait till they are 6 weeks enjoytheride as their immune systems are not working effectively until then (which is what the vaccine plays off of to make it effective). So yah 3 week is a bit to young yet, the milk they are getting from mom also hinders it in some way - but don't quote me on that!

As to the wormer - I have given injectable orally at 1cc per 20lbs seems to be effetive - havent' done a fecal to know positively that it does.

9. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Stacey, how old were the kids when you injected? My wee ones are only just over 3 weeks old.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    3 weeks is to young I my oppion. I think the youngest I have given wormer is 8 weeks but that was because he had the runs really bad and I did know the place he came from and it smelled really bad - basically a rescue.

Anyway unless they have worms I would wait till they are 3 months or older before giving them their first worming.

I have a new 3 month old that I just wormed with Ivomec Plus as she is coughing more then I like to see. Didn't want to take chances with lung worms and I gave her a oral dose of the injectable. Could be just dust but it did just rain to :shrug: