The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need to vaccinate my kids who were born 5/2/08. My question is this: since we gave them a Tetanus Toxoid shot at disbudding, will it harm them to give them the CD&T? They are now 3 weeks old and I'm not sure whether to go ahead or wait a little longer. Also, this is our first time leaving the kids on mama. Without bottle feeding, how do I get di-methox into them to prevent coccidia? All help is appreciated! Thanks, Brooke

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I'm not sure on the CD&T but the Di-Methox I'm pretty sure you can give that in a syringe orally. Cocci meds generally should not be put in milk since it can alter the effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have always heard that a kid doesn't really respond to vaccinations until they are about 8 weeks old- I would really like some authoritative confirmation of that though.
I just gave my 10 week old kids their first vaccination. As the initial shot is 5 cc's, it was rather a big shot for the youngsters. The follow up shot is only 2 ccs as is the annual booster after that. I think that that big an initial shot on a really young kid might be hard on them. By the way the does were vaccinated just prior to the kids birth.

By the way, I rubbed the injection sites for about 15 seconds guite vigorously and could feel the material spread out as I did it- no lump!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You need to wait 21 days after giving the tetnus toxoid before you give the C,D & T shot or it will cancel out the toxoid. There really is no easy way to get cocci meds into a baby but adding snow cone syrup to it helps it go down easier.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
P put a little molassas in the liquid Sulmet in the syringe and my kids don't seem to mind it much- at least they swallow it without any spit back but I still have to catch them to do it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, you guys have such great ideas! I will be starting the di-meth this weekend I believe, and thanks for the heads-up on the CD/T; I had a feeling I should wait a bit. Has anyone used the injectable Ivermectin? The people we bought Cohosh from gave him an injection the day we brought him home. He was 3 months. Have you used it and has it been effective? I know there are always lots of opinions about wormers, but I have never injected it before. I've used the paste and Hoegger's Compound. Thanks, Brooke

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I wait till they are 6 weeks enjoytheride as their immune systems are not working effectively until then (which is what the vaccine plays off of to make it effective). So yah 3 week is a bit to young yet, the milk they are getting from mom also hinders it in some way - but don't quote me on that!

As to the wormer - I have given injectable orally at 1cc per 20lbs seems to be effetive - havent' done a fecal to know positively that it does.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stacey, how old were the kids when you injected? My wee ones are only just over 3 weeks old.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
3 weeks is to young I my oppion. I think the youngest I have given wormer is 8 weeks but that was because he had the runs really bad and I did know the place he came from and it smelled really bad - basically a rescue.

Anyway unless they have worms I would wait till they are 3 months or older before giving them their first worming.

I have a new 3 month old that I just wormed with Ivomec Plus as she is coughing more then I like to see. Didn't want to take chances with lung worms and I gave her a oral dose of the injectable. Could be just dust but it did just rain to :shrug:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts