CDT shot dosage for Rowdy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Devin, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    OK, another rowdy question! :leap: LOL! I know how much to give my normal sized doeling, but I don't see anything that tell me how much to do for a pygmy/nigerian little guy? are the doses the same with that much weight difference?

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I believe it is 2cc's no matter the weight or age, but double check me on it.

3. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    2cc SQ then booster with 2cc SQ in 14 days. Unless he has had them on a regular schedule then just the 2cc booster.

4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    WOW! It just seems weird to me that my 20 pound doeling gets 2ccs and my 4.5 pound pyg/nigi gets the same!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes...It is 2cc's... no matter the weight or age....and then 21 to 28 days later... for the booster shot.... :thumb:

6. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    OK! I will do that! I still think its WEIRD! LOL! :laugh:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He may be to young still ... for that shot.....

Added: I believe...Kids should be vaccinated at 5 to 6 weeks of age and then given a booster..

8. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Oh, really? I was told at time of disbudding and then a month later :whatgoat: Most babies are disbudded between 3 days and a week, so I thought I was way behind! I don't think we are going to have to disbud him, I think he may be polled, but I was going to give him his shot anyway thinking it was still time for it. Maybe if they don't have trauma like disbudding they don't need one that early???

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you are going to disbud........the CD&T vaccine....is OK to give early.. to prevent tetanus......

waiting til they are older... is best for a regular vaccination schedule...... but if... you are to do a procedure..of some kind.. it is OK.... to give it anytime.. :wink:

10. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    good to know! Thanks!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Because you aren't sure of wether or not Rowdy's mom got her CD/T a month before he was born, and he may not have protection from the antibodies in her colostrum, you can dose him now and again in 3 weeks and another 3 weeks later.

Some will give Tetanus Antitoxin to have immediate protection that lasts a short period before disbudding.
    Because my does are all boostered before delivery, my kids are protected for the disbud, I then give kids 2cc CD/T at 4 weeks and the 2nd dose at 7 weeks...usually the time I band bucklings. I don't do a 3rd dose because of the protection they have from moms colostrum.

12. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Yeah, I have no idea about him mom and her history. Thanks Liz!