The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats are going to fair on July 20th and i have to give them the second CDT shot dose this Tuesday. Where is the best place to give it?
How can I prevent lumps?
How to give it easiest?

I have only given one CDT shot and it abscessed during fair luckily i could hide it because open wounds can get you in a lot of trouble.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Which fair?

What brand of CDT do you have?

I always give SQ shots in the neck down where it meets into the body since that is the easiest for me.

·
14,615 Posts
I usually give them in the fleshy part of the front shoulder because they arent as visible. However all show folks know the most common site is behind the elbow.
In any case warm the syringe in your hand. Before giving it rub area briskly, inject & rub some more.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which fair?

What brand of CDT do you have?

I always give SQ shots in the neck down where it meets into the body since that is the easiest for me.
Union County :)

Bar vac

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Bar Vac is well known for giving abscesses. If you go to TSC, you can find a CDT that says it is for goats. That works without the abscesses.

I'm in Morrow County.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what type is best to avoid abscesses? I just got the bar vac from my Vet and they still have lumps 4 Weeks later and now is the booster

·
Banned
988 Posts
I have only ever used the Colorado Serum Company Essential 3+T. I have had a few goats having lumps. I only remember 3 getting them out of say 35 that Ive done since having goats. I give mine in the arm pit an haven't had any lumps show up yet. I had lumps when given in the neck area.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can I use a different one for the booster? or do I have to stick with the same

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The lump from the BAR VAC will be permanent unless cut out. It is how their body heals from the vaccine. I use Colorado Serum, and inject SQ in the armpit on the left side of the animal. That way, it is away from the side the judge looks at most. The Colorado Serum still leaves a small lump sometimes, but not like the BAR VAC.

Just so you are aware, it has a 21 day slaughter withdrawal...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may go to Delaware and get some next time. it isn't that far at all. I hate giving shots :(

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just gave it to them all on neck/shoulder area. all lumps from first time are completely gone now so i think they will be okay for fair. They were WAY too difficult to give in armpit area. Even my smallest one too 4 1/2 people to hold her down just to look at a spot on her neck. (my animals have great manners and are taken care of very well so im not sure why they do that) I gave them treats after and everyone was happy again.:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'll try IM next time. I had never heard of it. Do you still use the same type and does it work the same?
Mine are all show not market.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay thank you:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts