The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought cdt to give to my goats but it didn't come with syringe and needle like dog shots do. What size syringe and needle do I need? And can I give it to my pregnant doe? Where and how do I give it to them.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
3cc syringes, 20 gauge needles, give SQ, usually given to pregnant females about a month prior to kidding

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
What age are your goats? Is this the first time they have been vaccinated or are you giving boosters? If the first time, use the needle and syringe that Karen said - I would add use a 1/2" needle, works better IMHO - and give the first dose, then give a 2nd dose 2 weeks later I think. If you have show goats, give it in the armpit. If not, where the neck meets the shoulder will work. CD&T tends to cause vaccination site lumps and bumps. To give the vaccine, restrain the goat, tent the skin with your fingers, slide the needle under the skin being careful to not go through the tent or stick yourself, draw back the plunger to make sure you're not in a vein, then depress the plunger to deliver the vaccine. Use a fresh needle to draw up each dose. You can use the needle you drew up the dose with to vaccinate the goat, but use a new one for the next dose/goat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two are 6 1/2 months old and my pregnant one is 2 years old. She due in October I think. I know the younger have not had shots but the older one may have but I have no way of knowing. The lady I bought them from got her from a breeder and the breeder could have given her shots. Should I wait until she is closer to kidding?
I've given my husband and dogs shots but the goats make me a litter nervous. Their skin seems tighter than the dogs do (take note I said dogs not husband.)
Just for laughs, my younger daughter gave herself allergy shots and would chase her brother around the house because he couldn't handle watching her. Now he has been to Afghanistan as SEAL support and is considering nursing. I can't believe he's the same boy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts