CDT shots to new goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by laurelsh, Sep 18, 2020.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Hi there! I have 2 new goats that came cross country, and due to the prior owner being out of town and other logistic complications, I cannot verify if they each had a CDT shot and booster, which would have been given in the last couple months, if it was done. Is there any problem with just going ahead and vaccinating them now, with booster too, just to ensure they have been?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you are not sure, I would treat them as if they never have and give it. ;)

Moers kiko boars and laurelsh like this.

3. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thanks! That's what I thought, but it's always good to double check!

4. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Here is a picture (eye candy) of my 2 new does, came to CA all the way from VA, and they are wonderful. Little MJ on the left (5 mos) and Isabella (4 years) on the right, unrelated but joined at the hip now. San Clemente Island Goats, high % of a rare bloodline within the critically endangered breed. Very special ladies. 20200916_163459.jpg

5. TheUnfetteredAcre

TheUnfetteredAcre Member

Jul 19, 2020
    East Tennessee
    I’m envious - San Clemente Island goats are a really fascinating story! Which bloodline are they?

6. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you. They are of the "New Hampshire" bloodline.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    They are precious. Sorry I dont know anything about the San Clemente Island goats. Can you tell me a little about them? Are they full size goats? Its hard to tell in pictures.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  8. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    They are considered small to midsize goats, but there are a variety of sizes within the breed. The 2 in my picture are fairly smaller in size. The adult doe is probably about 21" at the whithers but I haven't measured her yet. You can find out more here: https://www.scigoat.org/
    Here's a photo of my buck. The bucks are spectacular. Phoenix 20190108_091808.jpg

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Wow...he really.is amazing. Ill.check.out the.link. Thankyou. Very cool goats.

laurelsh likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Congratulations on the two new additions. How have they settled in? They look in great condition.

In Boers when I begin seeing the ring of light colored fur around the eyes, I know it's time for copper supplementation! But it looks like a lot of the San Clemente's have lighter color around the eyes are part of their coloration!

12. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    They are doing well! My goats do get copper 4x a year, and I think the light around the eyes is part of their coloration. The 2 new girls are doing great, I'm just waiting on results from a 2nd fecal after treating for parasites. I hope to let them in with my other 3 does later this week. The darker red one I think is copper deficient because her coat is kind of raggy, but I already have given her some.

Moers kiko boars and SalteyLove like this.