The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - pretty new to goats - we've had our two Nigerian Dwarf goats for a little more than a month. They haven't had their CDT vaccination yet, and i was going to give it to them this weekend. I don't have any experience with subQ injections. the only injection i have given is a IM antibiotic when our goats had a little sniffle. Are there any recommendations on where to give the injection at? I guess i'm just nervous about getting the needle placed correctly. Dosage? Our doeling is about 30 lbs, the wether is around 40 lbs - both born in June of this year.
Thanks! John

·
2,203 Posts
OK - pretty new to goats - we've had our two Nigerian Dwarf goats for a little more than a month. They haven't had their CDT vaccination yet, and i was going to give it to them this weekend. I don't have any experience with subQ injections. the only injection i have given is a IM antibiotic when our goats had a little sniffle. Are there any recommendations on where to give the injection at? I guess i'm just nervous about getting the needle placed correctly. Dosage? Our doeling is about 30 lbs, the wether is around 40 lbs - both born in June of this year.
Thanks! John
My favorite is the loose skin behind the shoulder in front of the ribs. Behind the "elbow". Pick up a tent of skin, plunge needle in the tent, draw back to make sure you do NOT see blood, and administer. Then rub like crazy!

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
CDT is always 2cc. If they never had a CDT shot before than do a booster shot 3 weeks from first shot.

I like giving SQ shots in the neck where it meets into the body. Lots of loose skin there too.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I give my CDT shots in the "armpit" just so they walk out the medication ans it does not sit in one area. Just what I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts