The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question. I asked this lady that has the two 14 wk old Nigerian Dwarfs if they had had their shots yet and she told me they didn't need their CDT vaccine until they were a year old. I'm seeing some craigslist ads say their young goats (under 1 year) have had their CDT shots already. So, exactly how old should a goat be when they get this vaccine?

And, since they will come to me without shots, it will be my responsibility. Do you take them to a vet? If not, I'll need specific instructions. Any website or youtube recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I used to give CD&T shots a long time ago, I did it when they does were 4 months pregnant (gave the shot to the does) and to the kids when they were 2 months old, and again to the kids when they were 3-4 months old, then yearly.

They don't really need it, but it helps prevent tetanus when castrating, disbidding, surgical procedures, etc.

You can buy the shots at thre tractor supply, vets office, jeffers, valley vet, etc. It is simple to administer. 2cc's in the muscle or under the skin, then once more 4 weeks later.

However, CD&T shot's are known for causing anaphylactic shock in goats, so having epinephrine is a good idea. A vet can sell you the epi, or they can just do all the shots for you, and save you the hassle

·
14,456 Posts
It's up to you if you feel they should have CDT then by all means do.
It is 2cc SQ. 20 lb or 2000lb. The second dose is given 21 days later. After that it is an annual booster.
If you use Bar Vac it will leave a lump. Rub area briskly after giving. Write down exactly where you gave it so you know.
For instance Right front shoulder or R armpit.
It is probably the first vac alot of us have learned to give injections.
Anaphylactic shock is rare but it can happen.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I agree with Ksalvagno. That's what I did with my 5 month old doeling. I had the vet do the first one and show me how and where to give shots :)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Do goat kids have to have any kind of shots? Or is it more a matter of personnel opinion? I'd like to be more aware of that sort of thing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it sounds like giving this vaccine is just personal preference. And taking them to the vet for the first time is a very good idea! In fact, I'll call the vet to just ask his opinion also.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
it is a preference...some will give just the tetanus without the CD part...we do CD&T at 3 months then again 30 day later as a booster...then annually...what ever you choose Keep a bottle of C D antitoxin on hand at all time..expecially is you decide not to give the CD&T...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.Uaz_rGSDR68

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thanks for the link, happybleats. So, CDT vaccine is to prevent CL, is that right? I have a hard time reading all that technical stuff on goat link when I can just ask ya'll. ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
No, CDT does not prevent CL(aka caseous lymphadenitis or cheesy gland )
CDT is to help prevent Clostridium Types C and D and Tetanus
Clostridium Types C&D: is caused by eating to much grain and ending up with an acidic ruman which the little bugs that either produce or are(I can't quite remember which) Clostridium types C & D love. Then the toxins make the goat sick. The vaccine helps prevent these toxins from making the goat sick

Tetanus is caused by a bacteria that enters a wound and grows. It can cause the muscles to lock up(giving it the nickname lock-jaw) and then eventually the goat dies.

CD&T toxoid, is a killed/modified virus it allows the goat to slowly create it's own immunity to the virus that lasts a long time(the immunity, not the virus)

You can also get Anti-Toxin for both Clostridium and Tetanus separately. Anti-toxin is the antibodies already prepared to fight the specific virus, it is short-term protection(tetanus used before disbudding and castrating young kids for example) or in attempting to treat the condition (given when the goat has tetanus or clostridium)

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
That is a great question...for a long time I didnt think so...it is very confusing...But I beleive it is...Enterotoxemia, Caseous Lymphandenitis and Tetanus

If I understand right ( and please if I dont let me know lol)
Clostridium perfringens Type D is for enterotoxemia (over eating disease)
Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis Bacterin Is for CL
and then the tetanus...

Jeffers carries a vaccine for CL : Pyogranulomas/Caseous Lymphadenitis caused by Corynebacterium Pseudotuberculosis.

For this reason I am thinking about only doing the vaccine for Tetanus..doing a CL vaccine can cause test results to show false Pos. In CL...I dont currently test for Cl in the blood work but if any one bought goats from me and did I hate for them to think I sent them off with CL lol..also I wonder if this is the reason the shots many time absess..
A grea topic any how Sarah for sure...It can be ver confusing...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Yeah, I think I'm a little more confused now than when I asked lol. :) hehe. But from what you said I gather that maybe shots aren't too important.... Except for tetanus when you're going to do something big like disbudding or castrating?

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
I do tetanus antitoxin for disbudding, banding or open wounds and punctures...again the toxoids go to work slow and steady while the antitoxin go in full force then are done...Tetanus antitoxin is good for about 8-10 days...it is like the difference between CD&T and C D antitoxin...CD &T are toxoids..work slow and stead...C D Antitoxins is a "get her done now" med and then its leaved the body..this is why toxoids ar annual vaccines where antitoxins need repeating often depending on what they are...I found a article to explain better than me..Ill go look it up : )

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
That's a great article, Cathy, thanks! I will probably re-read it several imes before I really get it, but I helps a lot.I wonder if our vet would have CD & T .
That's the one you give annually right? I should probably do that after the next round of kids, right? Or before? You don't have to answer all these questions, I'll be doing my research. I don't want to make everybody on here educate me.
I'm just "talking out loud" or should I say "typing out loud".

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
lol....I dont mind.....we booster annually for CD&T..its good to give it 2 months before kidding to allow the antibodies to be given through the colostrum offering some protection to new baby...I give to kids at 3 months then again a 30 day booster..many give it much younger..and although it doesnt hurt..Colorado co says it is not effective before weening age of 2 1/2 -3 months..Tractor supply carried it..Get the one from Colorado co..the Bar Vac can leave lumps..
we are all learning out loud together...so keep the questions coming..some oneis needing the answers too ;)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thanks again,

I guess the vet could give them for us, but it might cost more.
Is Colorado co an online supply or a store or something else entirely? And speaking of supplies, (I know this belongs in another thread) do you know of any good online goat suppliers? Right now we get the basics from Hoegger goat supply. Their stuff is great, but I'd like to compare it with others. I've seen Caprine supply, but I think their prices were higher or something.

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
I like ordering from Jeffers..they are reasonable...
Colorado serum co is the company who makes the CD &T as well as other meds..I either get what I need from jeffers or Tractor supply, and a few Bovine type places if needed..: ) if I need RX meds.My vet is good to give me what ever I ask for..sometimes with eye brow raised...lol..

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
That is a great question...for a long time I didnt think so...it is very confusing...But I beleive it is...Enterotoxemia, Caseous Lymphandenitis and Tetanus

If I understand right ( and please if I dont let me know lol)
Clostridium perfringens Type D is for enterotoxemia (over eating disease)
Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis Bacterin Is for CL
and then the tetanus...
No, happybleats. CDT has nothing to do with CL. It is for the prevention of Clostridium types C & D, and tetanus only.

·
Super Moderator
31,765 Posts
Goatcrazy..This what I have thought as well... but when you read the medication for CD&T and CL vaccine.its the same...so Im a bit confused about it....If you can clear it up..Im all ears...really :D

CL Bacterin Vaccine

Texas Vet Labs

Corynebacterium Pseudotuberculosis Bacterin
For use in healthy goats, 3 months of age or older, as an aid in the prevention of Pyogranulomas/Caseous Lymphadenitis caused by Corynebacterium Pseudotuberculosis.

CDT & VACCINATION SCHEDULE

CASEOUS D-T

(Enterotoxemia, Caseous Lymphandenitis and Tetanus)

NOTE: This Vaccine includes vaccination of CL (CLA)

Colorado Serum

Clostridium tetani-perfringens Type D-Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis Bacterin-Toxoid

U.S. Vet. Lic. No.: 188

Active Ingredient(s): The product is a combination of three antigenic substances, namely, Clostridium perfringens type D, Cl. tetani and Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis. Contains thimerosal as a preservative.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.