The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have quite a few goats I would like to start giving them their cdt vaccines myself instead of paying the vet fees. I just need to know where to give it and the dosage and when I need to give them.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I give it to them in the muscle. 2cc's once a year. But be careful, if you don't have epinephrine on hand with you when you are giving vaccines and they go into anaphylactic shock as a reaction to the shot, you may lose them.
With kids it's a initial shot, and once more 4 weeks later

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
This is the kind I use. I give this to all my goats. For does, when they are pregnant I give them their CD&T shot for them, but it also protects the kids when they are born. After the kids are born I give the kids a shot at 8 weeks, then another 4 weeks later. After the kids have their CD&T shots, they only need it once a year from there on.
It is 2cc's/mL per goat no matter what age.

http://www.jefferspet.com/essential-3-t/camid/LIV/cp/0028326/

·
Registered
252 Posts
I give it to them in the muscle. 2cc's once a year. But be careful, if you don't have epinephrine on hand with you when you are giving vaccines and they go into anaphylactic shock as a reaction to the shot, you may lose them.
With kids it's a initial shot, and once more 4 weeks later
What is epinephrine and how much would I give a 12 to 14 week old just in case something does happen

·
14,615 Posts
What is epinephrine and how much would I give a 12 to 14 week old just in case something does happen
Epinephrine is used in case of anaphylactic shock. Goat will have severe seizure/convulsion within seconds of vac. The ephinephrine must be given within minutes of reaction.
You would have to request it from your vet.
I was told in all her years of practice she had never needed to use it.
My response was if Im out here on the farm I cant wait. Four yrs later the dose is still in fridge but it would be cheap insurance to get another.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My vet and other goat friends all said epinephrine isn't a common need, but great insurance to have. I just asked my vet for it and they gave me enough to give my largest doe, and told me how to dose it for smaller ones. And they only charged me $5 for it, so not expensive to get.

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I get my epinephrine through VetServ. I have had to use it before, but only once.
1cc per 100lbs.

Anaphylactic shock can kill a goat in under 2 minutes, so it is best to have a dose of it drawn up in a syringe with you when giving shots, because if they go into shock, they need epi asap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts