The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you give CDT to newborn boer goats? I was thinking about doing that so i can disbud a few days later and then rebooster in 2 weeks.

Also if i can do that. Is another round needed when I casterate?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Yes, but it won't do any good because the newborns immune system does not develop until about 10 weeks of age. Without a developed immune system, the kid cannot utilize vaccinations. However, if your does have been vaccinated with CD&T then immunity is passed on to the kids through the colostrum and should protect them until they are old enough to vaccinate. I'm assuming you will not be banding/castrating until they are 2 months of age or so? If that is the case, then they would need to have either CD&T vaccinations or a shot of Tetanus Antitoxin at the time of banding/castrating because the immunity from the colostrum will have quit working. If you have any doubts, talk to your vet.

·
14,456 Posts
You can but their bodies are busy producing all the stuff they need for now through nursing.
We wait till they are a couple mos old before cdt.
Also we're heartless here, they don't get anything for disbudding or banding.:eek:

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
And would it be a good idea to have Tetanus antitoxin on hand?
It is always a good idea to have Tetanus antitoxin on hand. Tetanus lives in the soil and can be introduced with any type of moderate to deep puncture wound, cut or gash from rusty wire, nails, etc. Antitoxin is the only thing that will 'neutralize' the toxins and give an animal a fighting chance to survive.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I ALWAYS give tetanus antitoxin before disbudding and banding...do not risk tetanus , , do this one step before banding or disbudding, or anytime a goat is cut deep...
for disbudding pain, we sprizt the head with apple cider vinegar..stops the sting right away....

if there is at least 10 days between disbudding and banding..then yes..they will need another Tetanus antitoxin shot..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.