Cedar shavings

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AndersonRanch, Jan 14, 2021.

1. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I went to get shavings today and when I got home realized it is cedar shaving. I did a fast search but it seems to have some mixed reviews, mostly the negative ones are just what they have been told not that they have actually had a issue with them.
    So my question is has or does anyone use cedar shavings and did hey have issues with it? There is no way I can make it back down there to return it tonight and I have already cleaned all the old shavings out and the ground is a little damp in their house. So use or not?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I really don't love the stuff - it causes issues with small animals, but with goats and their sensitive respiratory systems, I don't trust it. Do you have any old shavings to mix it with to make it milder? Maybe some straw?

I would not use the stuff by itself, maybe if you mixed it with something.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The big problem is that goats are more apt to eat the cedar shavings. (they like the trees, too). It won't hurt them if they just lay on them, ceder does help repel fleas, ticks, mites, etc. My idiots eat pine shavings, cedar, they would probably founder. (They have good hay, etc, not hungry).

It shouldn't hurt to bed them with it, as long as they don't eat a lot! Cedar is not good for horses, and if you have a tiny enclosed area, the aroma may be too much for the goats' delicate noses...oh, and you won't have any moths, either!

GoofyGoat and MellonFriend like this.
  4. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    What I took out was pretty wet on the bottom and now all mixed together. With the stalls down though it is super ventilated (it’s a tarp carport with both ends open).
    I’ll open a bag and see if they would eat it. I’m going to guess though they would rather have their hay and oak leaves then that. If it’s a for sure sick or kill them if I put it out there I won’t use it but I really don’t want them laying on the damp ground :/

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  5. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    If they pass the test though I will go down and get some pine shavings tomorrow to put on top of it, so it will be just for a night

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    They were pretty sure I was offering them poison. I went threw and got some of the best dry old I could find and put down under the fitting stand where the babies sleep so that should get them at least threw the night

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  7. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I use 1/3 cedar shaving 2/3 pine all summer to keep the flies and creepy crawlies away. Never had a problem. I think they’ll be fine as long as you have good ventilation. It’s the smell more than anything. Yes, they’ll nibble but I’ve never had anyone eat enough to give them upset tummies.

8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    If you have some straw you could add it into the mix for tonight. ;). Maybe the “poison” that you meanie are tryin to kill them with will not bother their tender sensibilities so much. Lol!

9. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I have to say I think it smells great in there!
    I don’t have any straw :/ It jumped threw the roof here this year and I’m over the rodents and chickens and turkeys destroying it so I’m trying the shavings this year (except for when they are kidding).