The Goat Spot Forum banner
241 - 260 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Well. Pippi is still hanging on. Last year, she kidded within about 36 hrs. of her udder getting this big. But she's now been this big for days, so she's obviously not following the pattern. Ligaments have been soft for days. Tonight, her tail head looks more hollow. I think she is standing a little posty. Ligs are very low and soft...but again, they've been like that before. A dab of discharge tonight. I think she lost her mucus plug 2 days ago.
Day 150
Brown Plant Fawn Liver Terrestrial animal

Working animal Bull Fawn Terrestrial animal Horn

Sleeve Liver Fawn Wood Terrestrial animal

Human body Working animal Jaw Liver Dog breed

Hair Human body Liver Working animal Ear

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
I think she's done. She hasn't passed placenta(s) yet. Both babies have nursed, so I'm leaving them alone for a while to get settled in.
Cleo, watching
Wood Window Carnivore Flooring Tints and shades

Buckling
Eye Plant Goat Working animal Grass

Doeling
Vertebrate Mammal Liver Fawn Grass

The birth was a bit different. I came out to find Pippi lying down in the stall, with all the other goats, and the water bag hanging out of her. I went and did a couple other things, locked the other goats out of the stall, and waited several minutes. Pippi wasn't pushing at all, just hanging out, which seemed odd. So I had a feel inside. It was difficult to tell exactly what I was feeling, there seemed to be quite a few body parts jammed into the birth canal. But I got a head and two feet I was reasonably sure belonged to the same kid lined up and ready to go. But Pippi still wasn't pushing. So I have her about 15 cc oral CalMPK, half of which she spit out, and within less than 10 min., she pushed the buckling out, and very shortly, the doeling came, too. Doeling had quite a bit of meconium that came out with her. I am thinking that is a sign of possible stress? I don't know. I may have jumped the gun and interfered too soon, or I may have messed Pippi up by coming in and moving the other goats around, even though I was pretty calm and quiet about it. Something just seemed a little off to me. I don't know if I actually helped or hindered. But both kids seem to be doing well. They've both latched and nursed. Pippi seems happy. Just waiting on the placenta(s).

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Thanks, guys! It's a bit hard in the moment to know if you're making the right call. I know I've heard about does not pushing if the kids aren't lined up correctly. And I've been concerned about Pippi's calcium levels as I haven't had the best alfalfa to feed her through the end of pregnancy...and she is a heavy feeder, always seems to need more than the other girls do.
She passed her placenta. I could tell her udder was uncomfortably full, as she was kicking at it. So I milked a little bit, since kids had already nursed. She was lying down, cuddling her babies when I left her a few min. ago.
Wood Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Tail

241 - 260 of 301 Posts