Cedarwinds Farm, Waiting for Spring Babies!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Caileigh Jane Smith, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I've been watching other people's waiting threads, so figured it was time to post my own!
    These are my girls:

Pippi, due April 20
    She was a yearling FF this last year, and milked about 6 lbs/day at her peak.
    20210112_070306.jpg
    This is Pippi with her buckling from last year
    IMG_0082.jpg
    Here's Josie, due May 18. I'm 99% sure she is bred, but I'm waiting a few days before I mark her due date on my 2021 calendar, just to make sure she doesn't come into heat again.
    She milked a little over 8 lbs/day at her peak as a 2 or 3 year-old FF last year.
    20210112_070213.jpg
    Here she is with her twin bucklings from last year. She is such a loving mother. She even helped take care of Pippi's kid.
    20210112_070118.jpg
    And last but not least, here's my boy, Finn. He's turning 2 this winter (not 100% sure of his birthday). He's filled out since I took these pictures and put on more muscle...but he's also stinky and rutty right now, so I'm not taking new pictures.
    20210112_070406.jpg 20200827_122614.jpg
    Looking at these pictures, I'm like, 'I should have taken one AFTER I trimmed his hooves...' his pasterns look weird in that top picture. Ah well, hindsight.

Since I had all bucks last year, I'm rooting for a doe year this time around. I'd really love to get a blue roan doe out of Josie.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Pretty girls! Good luck!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.

3. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Thanks!

4. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Is that a bunny in the first picture?

5. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Beautiful girls and boy! Awwww a bunny!!? My best friend raises rabbits so she kinda has gotten me hooked lol.

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I love them. They are so beautiful. I love their ears. Pippi's little one is her spitting image. Good luck.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Best wishes for a easy healthy kidding season! April and May feel like a LONG wait!

That is a gorgeous bun! Is he or she free range in your goat pens?!

8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I love the look of all your goats!
    I am rooting with you for at least one girls, but most of all for healthy kids and easy kidding!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    May feels like forever. I've just decided to go ahead and test two for May 1st and second..... I hate waiting for results - but it really helps with my feeding program. I HATE fat yearlings. Good luck with your girls - hope all have settled.

11. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    @SalteyLove @Boers4ever @Kass I didn't actually realize the rabbit had made it into a picture. Yes, that is Hollihock. He was supposed to be a doe. He was also supposed to be my sister-in-law's house pet. Neither of those things ended up working out for him, so I ended up with him. He bonded with my goats, and would escape his pen to live with them, so I just left him in there. Sadly, he passed away about 2 months ago. I still miss having him nosing around out there in the goat pen. He was a character!

12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    It DOES feel like forever. But when I think of the long list of things I want to accomplish
    before then, it seems like it might not be long enough. Hope your girls are bred!

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Thanks! And always something to do! I have 4 confirmed for March, just have to get on the stick and send in blood for these two. Best wishes for you!

14. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    20210114_113557.jpg
    It's probably just my wishful thinking, but it almost looks like Pippi is beginning to show a little baby belly here. She will be 70 days pregnant at the end of this month.
    I went ahead and started drying her off a few weeks ago. She's had a bit of a rough year (haven't we all?), so I figured she could use a good break before starting over with babies and milking. She's down to giving about a pint of milk a day, now.
    As far as I can tell, Josie hasn't come back into heat, and Pippi's buckling is living with them right now, so I think I would notice him being interested in her if she did cycle again. So I think it's safe to say that she's pregnant, too!

15. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    We have all enjoyed the sunshine the last few days.
    I brought the goats some bits and pieces I thought they would enjoy from my garden cleanup.
    I also found a few pine branches that got knocked down by the wind, and gave those to them. This is the time of year when the lack of variety on their diet really seems to catch up to them, so I try to provide little extras they will like munching on.
    20210121_144441-01.jpeg 20210120_141441-01.jpeg
    Pippi has already started her martyred pregnant lady groans. Every time she has to get up, she heaves an enormous sigh. She's such a drama queen.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  16. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So nice of you to drop those bits and bites off!
    I love your goats’ ears (did I say that already?)!

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  17. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Thanks! I love the ears, too! I think they give the goats a nice expression.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  18. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Very nice does! Good luck on your kidding. Sorry about your bunny!

19. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Thank you! The bunny had a pretty good life, and what I believe to be a fairly quick end...don't think he'd have it any other way.

20. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Snow today! The first real snow we've had this year.
    Thought I'd share a few snowy pictures from this morning's chores.
    20210127_080723-01.jpeg 20210127_080736-01.jpeg 20210127_080545-01.jpeg 20210127_080521-01.jpeg 20210127_082124-01.jpeg

Nani, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.