Cedarwinds Farm, Waiting for Spring Babies!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Caileigh Jane Smith, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Mooommm what is this! Its cold and wet... make it stop....

2. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    :D the goats definitely think I am personally responsible for the snow. So do the cats.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not too excited about the snow. ;)

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
  5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Lovely pictures!

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    We wound up with about 2 in. of the white stuff. I'm not a winter enthusiast, but it was pretty. I went out for a walk to enjoy the snow and gather a bucket full of green stuff for the goats. I want to take them out soon, but didn't have time for that today.
    20210127_142432-01.jpeg 20210127_143029-01.jpeg 20210127_144038-01.jpeg 20210127_143909-01.jpeg 20210127_144359.jpg 20210127_145529-01.jpeg 20210127_145812-01.jpeg 20210127_164727-01.jpeg 20210127_135224-01.jpeg

7. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
  8. MadHouse

Beautiful pictures again!!! You live in a lovely place! Lucky you still have greens to feed. We only have evergreens right now (I break off tips from spruce trees and call them pickles for the goats).

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey..those are really beautiful pictures. Looks cold! Brrrrrrr. You look great in your picture..and your goats are.happy! :great:

10. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    @MadHouse @Moers kiko boars thank you! I am certainly blessed by the beauty that surrounds me daily. One of the things that I enjoy about my animals is that they motivate me to get outside in every kind of weather, and while I'm out there, I generally find things to admire. :)

11. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I cleaned house for the boys today. Huck made sure to inspect my work.
    Everything here is sooo muddy, as the snow melts away, and we're supposed to get rain tomorrow. The goats' feet are suffering, so I'm moving things around to try to keep them out of the worst of the mud, and will be putting down gravel in the does' pen tomorrow, if the rain isn't torrential. Probably I'll haul some more pallets and place them in high traffic areas, too.
    Kip has been coughing for a few days, now. I'm treating him with herbs and seeing improvement, but also need to run a fecal to check for parasite issues.
    Always some new challenge!
    20210129_173348-01.jpeg 20210128_093409-01.jpeg

12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Goat pickles! I love it!
    Mine like evergreens, too.
    Most of what they're getting right now is invasive honeysuckle, which generally doesn't stay green all winter, but since this winter has been so mild, it might not die back at all.

13. MadHouse

Yes, always a new challenge! Lots of work, it never ends. Every season has different challenges. The reward is happy animals!

14. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Kip snuggled up with Pippi tonight while I was doing chores.
    20210202_190944-01.jpeg 20210202_190521-01.jpeg
    Today is day 74 of Pippi's pregnancy. Hard to believe that we're almost halfway there already!
    I'm still battling the mud. Treating both Pippi and Josie for hoof scald. I trimmed Kip's hooves tonight, and fortunately, it looks like he is still doing OK. I don't normally wish for cold weather, but it would be nice if the ground could just freeze for a while!

15. MadHouse

So sweet!
    And exciting that your girls are half way already!
    Winter has all these challenges! Always something!

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  16. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Yes, always something! This is my first time dealing with really serious hoof issues, but Pippi seems to be less tender, and she was the worst to start with, so I think it will eventually go away. Brainstorming more ways to get them out of the wet!

17. MadHouse

Free pallets from the hardware store?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  18. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Yes! I actually have some pallets laying around that I need to haul over there. I have had a sinus infection for the past several days and no energy. So the bare essentials have been getting done and precious little else. I've been moving their hay feeder every few days, so that helps. We have a bunch of rock slabs that we salvaged from our shop building that burned down, and I thought it would be nice to make them a stone pathway through the worst of the mud. Just haven't had the energy to wrestle those big stones around!

19. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I hope you feel better soon, my daughter gets those and they’re miserable.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  20. MadHouse

I hope you are on the upswing now!:getwell:
    Good idea about the stone pathway.
    Just don’t wear yourself out.