The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
We wound up with about 2 in. of the white stuff. I'm not a winter enthusiast, but it was pretty. I went out for a walk to enjoy the snow and gather a bucket full of green stuff for the goats. I want to take them out soon, but didn't have time for that today.
View attachment 195681 View attachment 195683 View attachment 195685 View attachment 195687 View attachment 195689 View attachment 195691 View attachment 195693 View attachment 195695 View attachment 195697
Beautiful pictures again!!! You live in a lovely place! Lucky you still have greens to feed. We only have evergreens right now (I break off tips from spruce trees and call them pickles for the goats).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I cleaned house for the boys today. Huck made sure to inspect my work.
Everything here is sooo muddy, as the snow melts away, and we're supposed to get rain tomorrow. The goats' feet are suffering, so I'm moving things around to try to keep them out of the worst of the mud, and will be putting down gravel in the does' pen tomorrow, if the rain isn't torrential. Probably I'll haul some more pallets and place them in high traffic areas, too.
Kip has been coughing for a few days, now. I'm treating him with herbs and seeing improvement, but also need to run a fecal to check for parasite issues.
Always some new challenge!
20210129_173348-01.jpeg 20210128_093409-01.jpeg

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Beautiful pictures again!!! You live in a lovely place! Lucky you still have greens to feed. We only have evergreens right now (I break off tips from spruce trees and call them pickles for the goats).
Goat pickles! I love it!
Mine like evergreens, too.
Most of what they're getting right now is invasive honeysuckle, which generally doesn't stay green all winter, but since this winter has been so mild, it might not die back at all.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Kip snuggled up with Pippi tonight while I was doing chores.
20210202_190944-01.jpeg 20210202_190521-01.jpeg
Today is day 74 of Pippi's pregnancy. Hard to believe that we're almost halfway there already!
I'm still battling the mud. Treating both Pippi and Josie for hoof scald. I trimmed Kip's hooves tonight, and fortunately, it looks like he is still doing OK. I don't normally wish for cold weather, but it would be nice if the ground could just freeze for a while!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So sweet!
And exciting that your girls are half way already!
Winter has all these challenges! Always something!
Yes, always something! This is my first time dealing with really serious hoof issues, but Pippi seems to be less tender, and she was the worst to start with, so I think it will eventually go away. Brainstorming more ways to get them out of the wet!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Free pallets from the hardware store?
Yes! I actually have some pallets laying around that I need to haul over there. I have had a sinus infection for the past several days and no energy. So the bare essentials have been getting done and precious little else. I've been moving their hay feeder every few days, so that helps. We have a bunch of rock slabs that we salvaged from our shop building that burned down, and I thought it would be nice to make them a stone pathway through the worst of the mud. Just haven't had the energy to wrestle those big stones around!

21 - 40 of 186 Posts