The Goat Spot Forum banner

81 - 100 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Thanks, guys, for all the kind words!
Pippi is gimping...on the OTHER leg, this time. It is hot and a little swollen. I think she must have injured it when I had them all out in the snow. She seems fine, but moving a little slower.
I'm drying Josie off. We're down to a little over 2 qt./day, now.
It was 50* today and SUNNY! What a delight!
20210222_200532-01.jpeg

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Oh no, sorry tohear about Pippi's leg. Keep an eye on her, maybe get her temperature, too.
Thanks! I took her temperature when she was limping really badly, and it was normal. I felt all up and down her leg and examined her hoof, couldn't find anything visibly wrong, like a cut or scrape, or a hoof issue. I'm pretty sure what happened was she just stepped in a hole or lost her footing in the deep snow, and twisted or sprained it. I was out there with them the whole time, and did not see that happen, but obviously , it still could have. The poor dear seems to be somewhat accident-prone.
She looked like she was getting around better today, though, so I'm hoping she'll be back to her old self soon.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
That happened with my doe Willow before. I couldn’t find anything on the outsid, but she did not want to jump on the milk table. (I had to milk her on the floor.) I figured she had pulled a muscle. When she came into heat a few days later she “forgot all about it” and climbed up to the balcony to look for boys.
I hope Pippi will get over it quickly!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well, I guess I should add to this thread, as I brought two preggo does home last night! They're both registered, from nice milk lines, and bred to registered bucks. So I'm hoping for some good kids to grow my herd.
This gal is due March 2nd. I am planning to bottle feed her kids, too, so I am getting geared up for that.
20210225_110408.jpg

20210225_121450.jpg

And this one's due April 19th, so she and Pippi will be kidding pretty close together.
20210225_110433.jpg

Not the greatest pictures, but they're still pretty uncertain about their new surroundings and not too keen to pose. I'm working on 'barn names' for them, since their registered names are not going to be easy to holler across a field. :) I'm thinking maybe Priscilla for the Alpine and Mavis for the Nubian. Sil and Mave for short. But not sure...I'm waiting to see their personalities emerge more as they warm up to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Very nice girls! So exciting..dont know.what you will.be getting! Congrats!
Thanks! I'm excited! Now I'm scrambling to make sure I have all my kidding stuff together, as the Alpine's udder has filled considerably today, so I know she'll be going pretty soon. Hopefully, not before her due date. I would have preferred not to haul her this close to her due date, but the lady I bought them from lives 4 hours away from me, so it really wasn't doable to go back down there after she kidded. She's a calm doe, though, so I'm hoping all will be well. She seems to be settling in nicely.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
The girl squad (plus Kip) enjoying the sunshine. I seem to collect a lot of brown animals...
Pippi's leg is doing better. Still a little swollen, but not hot, and she's walking more normally.
Josie has finally stopped haughtily ignoring the new goats and has begun rubbing her horns against the fence to show that she is The Boss.
20210225_130559-01.jpeg

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Well, it might be almost go time for Sil. I let her out to potter around the yard last night and this morning, and this morning I noticed she was much less active. She's been panting and yawning a lot today. I've seen her have a few contractions this evening, but nothing really hard or regular. Her udder has gotten even more full than that picture, which is from this morning. I just felt her ligs, and I think they're still there, but I'm not great at feeling for them. So I'm just sitting out here, drinking my tea and watching her. She seems fairly relaxed, so I think it will be a while yet.
20210227_101027.jpg 20210227_104039.jpg 20210227_103732.jpg 20210227_201206.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I am going to bed. There hasn't been any real progression, that I can tell. She is happily chewing her cud, and I am falling asleep on my 5 gal, bucket 'chair '. I'll set my alarm and come check her again in a few hours. It's a rainy night...first spring thunderstorm and now some gentle rain, so it might not be inclement enough for her to kid. Though my other girls were good to me last year, and kidded during rational hours and nice weather. :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Still no babies this morning.
I can't find her ligs at all...did an internal check, because she just seemed so uncomfortable, and I think she is dilating, but I've never checked for that before, so I'm not 100% sure if I was feeling the right thing. As soon as I'd checked her, she indignantly got up, strolled around the barn and outside. Took a walk around the yard, tasted the lilac and forsythia bushes, then went to eat hay with her buddy. I'm debating if I should try to go to church today or just stay home...
20210228_072854.jpg

81 - 100 of 186 Posts