Cement floors

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by GoatMama123, Dec 27, 2015.

1. GoatMama123

GoatMama123 Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I have cement floors in my barn... so far I am not a fan. It doesn't feel like a barn.... it feels like a little goat prison!

Any suggestions on what to cover it with. I have shavings on one end and stall mats on the other....I really don't like either on the cement. If I put dirt or sand on top I am worried it won't drain and smell. And they just go thru straw so fast (maybe I'm just picky on cleanliness)...then they kick it everywhere and we have little cement bald patches.

What do you guys think?!

2. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I have the same problem. For the most part it works pretty well and definitely keeps things clean. We have an old horse trailer that we took the mats out and they stay clean. That seems to be the biggest thing that helps. I don't think putting sand on it will help because it will be slippery. We put straw on top of shavings and that works well the pee and water seeps into the shavings and the straw keeps them warm. I don't know of much else that I can do differently.

3. Redbarngoatfarm

Redbarngoatfarm Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Southern Ontario
    I would say invest in the stall mats -I bought a few here and there to spread out the costs, and watched for a really good sale price! I love them because they don't feel as cold, and they are much more comfortable to stand on for me -oh, and my goats :p

4. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    I would do anything for cement floors,it cleans easy and you can pressure wash it and disinfect it!!! We have had a horrible flood year here and everything has turned to mud including my barn and I have to wait till spring/summer to get beautiful cement floors!!! Haha Anyways I second stall mats or something akin to it, I would not recommend sand because it hard to keep really clean because the poop just mix in with the sand. So I would definitely say ether stall mats or hay(or both). :)

5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    My old barn had cement floors. I loved them. I used shavings on top and it worked great. I cleaned the wet spots out daily and added fresh shavings.

I now have dirt floors and really don't like them much, but there's nothing I can do about it. I have a huge rubber mat that I have put in the stall, and that is working out well. I clean it twice a day, apply a coating of lime, dry shavings and then straw. Easy to clean.

Sand does not absorb moisture and it allows the urine to pool. It can also cause impactions in the intestines of the goats accidentally ingest it while grooming themselves or picking up a stray bit of hay.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  6. GoatMama123

GoatMama123 Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Thanks guys! Not a huge fan of stall mats either for some reason....I them on one end then shavings on another to see what I preferred... they both just do not look good.

Maybe I have to commit to one across the board to really see what it would look like.

I run a business (non breeding/ milk related) that has people viewing my barn, otherwise functionality would trump the looks but I have to have it look somewhat attractive

I also read that they can break their legs jumping of stuff onto the concrete and its hard on their hooves

7. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    yes that can be true, but they can do that jumping of rocks or toys. I have had less hoof problems because of the concret.

8. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    I love our concrete floors. I have shavings with straw over the top. In the summer I leave it bare and have shelves for them to lay on, and then just sweep it out regularly. We don't have any hoof troubles at all and it stays cool in the summer, which is great for us since we're in the south!

9. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I built a slated floor above my concrete floor I love it

10. We just did our main stall area with pea gravel and stall mats on top to put a floor in our barn. I hated the dirt floor. Hopefully it will do well and I added straw on top. The mats are fitted in perfectly so the floor is very solid. Was a big job doing it but it is now level and cleaner looking - hope it stays that way. We got the best price by buying a pallet of mats and will get the rest of the barn done as soon as possible.

11. fcdairygoats

fcdairygoats New Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Indiana
    When I lived at the other place we had my pygmy's on a concrete floor. I liked how easy it was to clean with a hose and soap....I didn't like how the urine didn't really drain....it would just sit on the concrete in the bedding. One thing I learned with the concrete is that they have to have deep bedding and what worked best for us was using shavings under a deep layer of straw.

12. Here in east Texas we have "sugar sand". As a floor in stalls and barns it is horrible! It gets soggy even in the sheltered areas as the goats and dogs walk in with wet feet. Urine adds to that. Plus it's virtually impossible to get the goat berries out except by hand! Yup...glove up and just pick up those piles! Yuck. It's impossible to sanitize, and in winter, I have to deep bed as well to protect the goats from the damp.

In my milking shed (where I also store my feed and hay) I laid down a layer of pallets and covered those with concrete pavers -- It worked for awhile until the pallets began to settle or perhaps rot (unevenly, of course) after several soaking rains. (The moisture apparently wicked throughout the ground and under my shelter to reach those pallets!) Oh, well -- chalk one up for experience!

In my doe stall (I only have 6 goats at present, and shelters are more independent structures than a big barn) I'm gradually replacing the sand floor with concrete...three 60# bags at a time makes a slab about 4 inches thick and 2'x 3' (roughly). I only have about a 4'x4' section done (the stall is 8'x8' and home to 3 of the girls) but I must say I'm pleased so far. I'm trying to make the surface smooth and level, but not slick. The girls seem to like it and it is definitely easy to clean! It's winter, so I'm still deep bedding, but I'm doing this by simply allowing the fallout from their hay manger to be scattered across the floor. I expect that, as some have noted, the concrete will be cooler for them come summer.

The jury's still out on my experiment, but so far I have to say solid concrete is leading over a sand floor!

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I use #9 clean limestone. I do have to add more annually. I had concrete in my previous barn and hated it. The animals would slide on it. The urine just sat there. Stunk much worse than dirt/limestone.