CGK Boer Goats 2017 winter kiddings

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by RPC, Dec 18, 2017.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I will take some tomorrow

toth boer goats and ArborGoats like this.
  2. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Round 2 started today. This round is a guessing game. I have no idea when any of these 5 are due. All but the yearling i thought were due in december. Surprise they weren't and today i thought maybe Daisy would kid this week so i moved her into a kidding stall at lunch time. And around 330 she had a single doe kid. She has a dark brown head. I was so hoping for a black head.[​IMG]

ksalvagno and wifeof1 like this.
  4. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Congratulations.

RPC likes this.
  5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Good job on getting her moved! Is it warming up any over there?

RPC likes this.
  6. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

No we wont get above freezing this week i dont think. But i think i saw some 30s next week. We had a few nice weeks in the 30s and 40s.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So cute, congrats. :)

RPC likes this.
  8. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Here are a few updated pictures of my super bowl baby. 20180206_170534.jpg 20180206_170452.jpg Snapchat-1340391347.jpg

minibarn, Lstein and wifeof1 like this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

10. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Thanks I think she is too

11. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    She is beautiful! Congrats!

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

2 out of the 3 last kiddings have been horrible. But here are some pictures. First is Bonita who had quads but now just has a single buck kid. 20180226_190020.jpg
    Tabby had a single doe kid no problems.
    20180228_171150.jpg
    Then Rhonda had quads also. Pulled all 4 because they were coming out backwards and at the same time. She now only has a single doe kid. 20180228_171142.jpg
    Only 1 more to go and i have her down to be due on the 20th of this month.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Does that mean you lost 6 kids? I'm so sorry. The ones pictured are adorable.

15. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Yes i have never had such a bad time. The first doe snapped 3 cords before delivering so they died. The other had really weak kids. She laid on one then at 3 days old 2 more died. It took 5 days for the remaining 1 to walk. They were small but all had teeth.

16. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Oh my. So sorry for your losses. I hate triplets and more so quads. Mama's never do well, kids are small, and usually you get bottle babies.

17. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
  18. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm really sorry again for your losses, it's heartbreaking. But thank goodness good did come out of it - does are good and they each have a baby to raise. Praying for better luck next year from them as I know you were excited about this bunch.
    I'm wondering on the set of quads that were born backwards if they didn't end up ingesting fluids or had oxygen issues that aided in them being so weak, and the 2 not being able to bounce back.

I agree with Julie, I much prefer twins. The one set of quads we had born were good sized and tough though, from the doe we used to have (Snow White). I remember one was HUGE I'd have to look it up but I think he was 14lbs at birth. I remember the others were 7,8 & 9lbs.
    With our triplets this year, we have had 1 baby weak from each set, but thankfully they bounced back. 1 from being in wrong position and being very hard to get him out (Wysteria's boy - head back), Harmony's itty bitty girl became very cold and weak as it was cold out (bottle baby), Luna's middle kid was panting and not quite right (induced - 2 days early), and Misty's buckling was very weak and lethargic and appeared to have breathing issues/couldn't maintain temp (induced - 1 day early). I will say giving the last 2 babies Dex truly made a difference. Misty's boy was the worst of the bunch, I truly thought he was pretty much dead when I was trying to get him warmed up. His mouth was cold as ice, and when I put my finger in his mouth he just laid there with no response - no trying to push it out, or anything. I give a little Dex orally, and a little under the skin. Definitely something to consider keeping on hand if you don't have any.
    We also have given thiamine or B-Complex orally and that really seems to help wake them up.

Julie - what about the stuff you and Nancy are using on your newborns? I can't remember the name but I am super curious about it! I wonder if stuff like that would have helped the weak kids, especially the white doe.

19. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I will take twins and singles any day. I dont know how some people even like more then that.

loggyacreslivestock likes this.
  20. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Candice- it's called Immuprime. Yes, I believe it really gives them a boost and wakes them up. I have never seen such active, almost hyper, kids just after being born. And I mean minutes from birth. I'll attach a pic of it next.