Chaffhaye? good? bad? ugly?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mlktrkdrvr, Feb 4, 2016.

1. mlktrkdrvr

mlktrkdrvr New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    thinking about getting some chaffhaye for the milk goats and the milk cows. I have never used it before. Is it worth the hype? I have heard that if bags get a hole in them they will go bad very fast. but also heard very good things too. Any opinions or experience welcome.

thanks

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

People seem to really like it.

3. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I'm going back to Chaffhaye. I liked it.... My milk girls seem to do good on it... More milk too.... Just remember the whitish stuff I'd yeast not mold, and it's good for them

4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I have no clue what chaffhaye even is... :whatgoat:

5. COgoatLover25

COgoatLover25 Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Chaffehay is awesome, although some goats might take some time to get used to it, most goats love it and do really well on it.

6. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA

http://chaffhaye.com/

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    My goats love it and do very well on it....best part...no waste!..yes a hole in the bag can cause mold to build or dry it out..just check the bag well before you buy. We get a palllet at a time (40 bags) and it keeps well..even in hot months. If a bag is not used up. .roll it closed tightly to maintain moisture. Also the white goo stuff is yeast not mold... (through my first bag away due to this lol) goats love the yeast.

8. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Wow. Groovy! How much does it run per 50 pound bag?

9. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA

I'm paying 17.52 a bag, but I would check with a dealer near you to check out their prices. I am getting a quote from them to see if I can get a better deal going directly through them.

10. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

It's $14.99 here from the feed store.

11. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Wow... $14.99 Jill... Boy I wish...

12. I think Chaffhaye is great. I don't give a lot but every morning and evening they get some. I fill a small bucket and spread it in long feeders (goat tuffs) for 15 girls and the buck & his friend get some daily also. No waste. Then they get a good helping of orchard grass in their hay feeders and if that runs out I give them some grass hay. They get to go out daily depending on weather and forage some of the woods. We are getting Chaffhaye by the ton. The bags are very tough and I have never had one with a hole in it. Questions on it - check out their website. My babies love it as it is so easy to eat.

13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    we pay 11.10 a bag when we buy a pallet...and closer to 13 when single bags

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  14. RaineyDayFarms

RaineyDayFarms New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Houston
    I love it, the goats love it. Never had any issues with the bags getting holes. It did take some a while to get used to eating it. But they are fine now.
    Its 15 a bag here. Happy bleats I wish I could get it for 11.10 a bag, it would be worth getting a pallet. :)

15. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

It's $15.50 a bag here. The goats LOVE it. They didn't need any encouragement to get used to it.