Chaffhaye

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AlaskaBoers, Apr 17, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Didn't know we could get it here!

anyway. I was looking high and low this year for Alfalfa hay under $30 per bale. ugh! all of the Alfalfa here is imported from Oregon.
    But, I came upon an angora breeder who is now a dealer of chaffhaye. I got a 50lb bag of the Alfalfa.

I gave them a bit and they LOVED it. the next day I give them a bit and they eat for a couple bites, then wander off, drink, play, come back an hour later and nibble, then lay down, play...lol. I thought they'd eat it all at once??

I have seen the other topic on chaffhaye, who has used it and what do you think?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Another new one for me I'dsure like to know too!

3. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I used it one winter when I didn't know what I was doing and didn't have hay, and couldn't find any. It kept them alive and healthy. The amount you are supposed to feed them leaves them feeling starved, and they eat it so fast they also feel like they haven't got anything to munch on. They need longer pieces for the rumen, not chopped up stuff. And they need something that takes longer to eat. So you need to have some other kind of hay for them also. If you have hay that isn't very nutritious, I expect it would add nutrients to their diet and be good for them. I guess it's really fine for horses, they have different stomachs. In a crisis it was MUCH better than nothing, which was the alternative for me that winter.

Jan

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I used to feed it and I LOVED it. Unfortunately I was VERY, VERY allergic to it. :( I will still feed it the month before showing though as it gets rid of those big 'ol hay bellies and really packs on the muscle. :)

All of our show winners out here are on Chaffhaye... it does wonders for coat, skin and they just look FIT.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh cool.
    and yeah, mine have a wonderful timothy/clover hay now. they LOVE it, just wanted some alfalfa to supplement

do goats get used to the stuff easily? I fed 1lb to 7 mature does just now and they gobbled it up (trying to get their stomach used to it) but the preggo does and kids will only eat a little at a time.

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think as long as you have the other hay it will be a great addition for them.

I have trouble getting anything but alfalfa, so my problem is I need less nutritious hay for them. Alfalfa is New Mexico's biggest agricultural crop. I would have been sure it was green chili before I actually learned something about it.

My goats got used to it easily. So long as you have the other hay a little at a time is great.

Jan

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ok thanks! any other experiences with chaffhaye?

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    being aussie I'm not sure what 'chaffhaye' is. are you just talking about chaff?

is so, yes you can substitute chaff for hay no problems. lissa, the size of the chaff is enough to stimulate the rumen, its when you have powdery, dusty feeds that they dont get enough roughage.

my show angoras get only chaff, no hay at all, basically from birth until 2 yrs old. keeps the fleece clean.

my normal ones that are on hay, also get a bit of lucerne (alfalfa) chaff because my hay is oaten/wheaten hay. So the lucerne gives them that bit extra.

9. Keren, I guess being in AR I have never heard of it either. Is this a green hay like alfalfa or what is it? Can you just feed it or is there some type of amount that you have to stick to? I may have to look into it but would like to know more on it first. Thanks

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    You can get the chaff stuff at most feed stores in AR. Its sold as either Chaffhaye or TNT Chops. Sometimes its mixed with Timothy hay but usually just Alfalfa. I use the TNT Chops when the feed store is out of the Alfalfa pellets.

11. Oh ok I know what TNT is so on the same page now. Sorry guess I never heard it called that before, LOL.