The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 470 Posts

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My adult Boer wether has not eaten for about 36 hours. How many days can a goat survive without eating? I can take him to a vet hospital tonight if needed that specializes in livestock. But I don't want to do that if not necessary. It's a 1.5 hour road trip that is likely to be stressful for him. He is a nervous goat that doesn't handle stress well.

I treated him for trichostrongyle (1400 parasite count) yesterday morning with Valbazen, and he has not eaten since (about 36 hours). He was eating well before I gave him Valbazen. He does not appear dehydrated. He is pooping as of this afternoon after 110 ml enema with smaller than usual pellets, and not as much as he normally poops.

Teeth and gums were examined today without any obvious injury, infection, or mouth discomfort. Temp was 101.25 F.

He lay on the ground most of yesterday. He has been standing all day today usually facing the back corner of his indoor stall. He was separated from the herd last night to allow him to eat freely without being bullied by other goats.

He appears interested in hay and orchard grass pellets when offered, but only smells them. He accepted apple slices and a banana slice, took them in his mouth, then spit them out. He was observed to bite off a small piece of fir this afternoon, chew it, and eat it, but did not accept more when offered by hand.

I gave him 20 ml of Tummy Tamer herbs with the Valbazen and 2-3 raw garlic cloves yesterday. Today did a drench of 11 oz of dark beer. B-complex SQ (last night and this evening).

The local livestock vet is not very good with uncommon goat problems. Should I take him to the vet hospital that specializes in livestock?

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
I think technically he can go many days without starving but I don’t think it’s easy on the rumen to be empty.
Have you seen him pee? Dark beer was a good idea, are you hearing any rumen sounds? What about a cue transfer.
Personally I would probably take him to the vet. I understand vets and goats but just possibly he/she might happen to have a idea on what might be going on. Let’s see if anyone has any idea for tonight maybe ????

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you seen him pee? ... What about a cue transfer.
Thank you, Jessica. What's a cue transfer? Saw him pee yesterday. Haven't been around him much today except this morning and evening. Didn't see him pee then. Have been frequently checking in with him on the barn cam, so would see if he's eating. I hear fluid in his rumen when I press on it.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My hubby posted and was answering the posts. I told him honey I’ve been to the barn today!!! Lol

So I’m replying regarding the cud transfer. Is that easy to do? It’s all strange because post worming he hasn’t eaten. Even banana he would mouth chew but spit out. I don’t understand that. So I might need to take him to our large animal Hosp tomorrow if he isn’t improved in the morning. I really thought I should drive him there tonight. But hubby wanted to wait til tomorrow.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thank you for this info. I have been giving probiotic. But I haven’t tried giving him soda. I’ve never done a cud transfer. Not sure how to do that.

I’m a experienced goat owner. I know I sound like a newbie here. But my goats are rarely chronically ill. So unfortunately I’m just not sure what to do for him. Besides herd checks he’s always been in good health as I recall.

Thank you for your advice and support.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked acidosis up. I don’t think this is his issue. He doesn’t get fed grain typically. My wethers are only on orchard grass or OG pellets and some boss. But this one hasn’t gotten much of that either.

I can offer soda tho.

Rumen acidosis usually occurs in goats that have been fed predominantly forage-based rations and suddenly gain access to a large amount of highly fermentable concentrates. It can also occur if the amount of concentrates is suddenly and drastically increased or if access is denied for a time, then suddenly returned.

· Registered
33 Posts
I looked acidosis up. I don’t think this is his issue. He doesn’t get fed grain typically. My wethers are only on orchard grass or OG pellets and some boss. But this one hasn’t gotten much of that either.

I can offer soda tho.

Rumen acidosis usually occurs in goats that have been fed predominantly forage-based rations and suddenly gain access to a large amount of highly fermentable concentrates. It can also occur if the amount of concentrates is suddenly and drastically increased or if access is denied for a time, then suddenly returned.
Grain is the primary cause but prolonged periods of not eating can also drop rumen ph enought to spiral

· Registered
Goat Slave
3,743 Posts
We made smoothies for a doe that was down and not eating. Just tossed in a blender: alfalfa pellets, carrots, apple, kale, acv, molasses, probably some other stuff but blended that with enough water to drench it. Would give her some hourly. I felt it really helped pull her through. I also drenched her electrolytes as she wasn't drinking much.

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
Smoothies or slurries are a great way to get calories them them. Plus keep up with leaves. As many as he will eat.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grain is the primary cause but prolonged periods of not eating can also drop rumen ph enought to spiral
Thank you for sharing this info. This is good for all of us to know. I’ve been raising Boers since 2014 and I’m still learning how to raise them better and how to get through goat crises.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Give him some electrolyte so he doesn't get dehydrated and gets some energy
Then I would try some ammonium chloride in case he has problems peeing
does he have pale eyelids? Maybe a better dewormer
It wasn’t the wormer. I haven’t used it for years. I think it might have been too effective. Will talk about that later. No he seemed pink to me. No he doesn’t need AC. He’s not having a UC crisis. I’ve experienced that. This was not that. Thank you though for sharing this information. I’m always learning how to be a better goat mom. I appreciate all the comments and information shared here everyone.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We made smoothies for a doe that was down and not eating. Just tossed in a blender: alfalfa pellets, carrots, apple, kale, acv, molasses, probably some other stuff but blended that with enough water to drench it. Would give her some hourly. I felt it really helped pull her through. I also drenched her electrolytes as she wasn't drinking much.
That’s a wonderful idea! I will try to remember all that next time. If we have another crisis like this. I’m always learning to be a better farm manager. We love our goats. They are more like family in some ways.
What do you use for electrolytes? Coconut water?

I will update on what happened today later. It’s been a crazy long day.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Smoothies or slurries are a great way to get calories them them. Plus keep up with leaves. As many as he will eat.
Thank you Cathy for this information too. I sure appreciate all the information ya all shared here. And appreciate all your support! I am so thankful for this forum!

I will update on him. But I’m very tired. Didn’t sleep well last night. Might have to update tomorrow morning.

· Registered
Goat Slave
3,743 Posts
That’s a wonderful idea! I will try to remember all that next time. If we have another crisis like this. I’m always learning to be a better farm manager. We love our goats. They are more like family in some ways.
What do you use for electrolytes? Coconut water?

I will update on what happened today later. It’s been a crazy long day.
At the moment I have horse electrolytes that I use.

Hope everything is ok

1 - 20 of 470 Posts