The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find a thread on these questions, dealing with my first case of mastitis.

In your experience, how likely is mastitis to re-occur if a doe has it once?

And separately, how likely is it that the infected half of the udder will be damaged to the point of not supporting twins?

Lastly, how quickly should the hard mass in udder disappear with treatment?

I'm on day 3 of Today infusions and Banamine and Day 2 of LA-200 subq, I just purchased Vitamin C gummies to add to her treatment.

I pride myself on having a low maintenance, hardy small herd and am so upset about this. First case of mastitis ever. Worried about the presence of bacteria for future cases now and worried about the possible need to cull this lovely home-bred 2.5 year old.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree. It all really depends on if it was treated properly and fully, before drying off a doe. Or it can come back when freshening.

There are other reasons and causes of mastitis as well, with disease types.
Worse case.

·
8,175 Posts
Flies can carry germs to cause mastitis. (Horn flies specifically). If she has never had it before, is successfully treated (sample of milk to a vet to be cultured) it shouldn't come back.

One of the reasons that mastitis tends to reoccure is most people use "Today" mastitis treatment. It works on a lot of the mastitis cases (if administered correctly) but if they have a different strain then it only sort of works and actually makes the rebound worse.

If I have a case of mastitis, I give a shot of Excenal (1-2cc). for 5 days. There is no milk withholding and it along with whatever mastitis treatment really gets rid of the mastitis.

I've only had 1 doe that was chronic, she was give to me by a friend. She was never in the main herd, so when I finally got her cleared up, all the meat and milk withholding was done, she went for meat. (Big fat Nubian). I had an awful time with her, but where she came from always had mastitis, I discovered later.

·
274 Posts
In my experience it's best to get a culture to the Vet or Vet Lab right away and they can tell you what it is and what will treat it. I was treating a doe for what I thought was just common mastitis but it turned out to be Gram Negative bacteria that nothing would cure. Long story short I had to put her down. It was very sad....all my goats are pets and she was only 4 years old. I'm not telling you this to scare you, I sure hope your doe has the normal treatable kind. Best of luck!

Reactions: SalteyLove
1 - 6 of 6 Posts