Change of plans. maybe.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by rebelshope, Oct 8, 2008.

1. I bottle feed all my babies.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I hardly ever bottle feed.

13.6%
  3. I never bottle feed.

45.5%
  4. I do a combo of bottle feeding and mom feeding.

22.7%
  5. I can't answer this but want to watch the results.

18.2%
  1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Okay- I had at first thought about bottle feeding all my babies to prevent CAE. My Nigerian does and buck should be CAE, but I am going to have the whole herd tested to make sure.

If the whole herd is CAE free, I may let the kids nurse. This changes ALL my plans as to how I am going to house my goats etc. I was planning on keeping the kids in an unheated but totally sheltered area attached to the house with a heat lamp. Fire hazards would be limited due to the area rather than a barn. Not big enough for three does and their kids though. This will be in late Jan, early to mid Feb. in Wisconsin, and even though there have been wild goats for 1000s of year, there have never been herds of wild Nigerian Dwarf Goats in Wisconsin.

If I want to milk my goats and let the kids nurse how do I do that? Do I leave the kids with the does all the time, or allow them limited access. Would I let them be with the does for the first three or five days and then let them have limited access.

2. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    Looking forward to this, so even though I haven't had the opportunity to do it yet, here are my thoughts:

I'm leaving babies with mom. I haven't tested my two girls yet, although I need to. But this first batch of babies is mine to keep, so I'm not overly worried. I am keeping my fingers crossed they are CAE- though.

I personally have a moral thing with completely pulling kids off. Do I understand it? Yes, I do. But I don't like it. And if my does turn out to be CAE+, then I won't breed them. I am not passing judgement on folks who practice CAE prevention in that manner. Just... I won't do it.

So.. my goat guru tells me that she leaves kids on round the clock for the first week. Then she seperates at night, and milks her doe in the morning. Then kids and mom go back together. Presumably this is how she does it until weaning time. If I wasn't going to milk my girl, I'd leave babies on her full time.

Then again- I don't show, so no worries about udder/teat damage. I'm mostly concerned with getting milk from my girl, and maybe meat further down the road.

That's the plan anyway! :)

Meghan

3. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We mostly dam raise our kids but we have done supplementing of bottles though and left them on their Dam.

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Arrg :GAAH:

Please vote again, I added another options because I wanted to vote so I could just open this and see the results. I didn't realize that would wipe out all other results. Sorry.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Depending on your temps at that time of year and how many does you have due at once, you could keep each doe right after kidding in that preplaned area for say a week. Then let them out into their normal pen. By then the kids are easily able to regulate their temp and will be fine.

I leave all my kids on their dam unless like this past year we had quads and she rejected 2 (or I pulled one and she rejected one) so I had to bottle feed.

When the kids are a week old I separate them at night from their moms, milk most of the milk out and then let the kids out and they nurse and nurse (effectively stripping her out). I never fully milk the dam out because the poor kiddos are hungry. Then the kids are on mom all day till i separate at night (usually between 10-11:00pm)

some people think this is cruel to the kids to not let them nurse at night ----- but my bottle kids didnt get to have a bottle at night past the one week mark so I figured it was just about the same idea.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We don't bottle-feed often unless it's necessary, like what Stacey said.

I personally don't separate kids until at least 3 weeks of age. I separate at night and milk mom in the morning, leaving some milk in there (they usually don't let down all their milk for me anyways). That's just how we do it.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    When I have milked my mommas, I seperated the kids out at 1-2 weeks of age at night, milked in the morning as Stacey mentioned above, and then let the kids in with mom. The only difference between Stacey and I, is that I do a PM milking also, just to stimulate more milk production. I didn't get alot on the night milking - but that was ok.

When I bottle fed - my kids never got a night bottle. Typically momma doesn't get up to nurse in the middle of the night - so neither did I am my kiddos were just fine. I fed them their last bottle about 11 pm and then they got one about 5-6 am when I was getting ready for work and would take them outside to run and play and go potty.

AS far as CAE preventative.... if you are not concerned about the CAE this time around - I would definately dam raise and get the bloodwork when convenient. Doesn't sound like there is a rush on it :)

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Interesting. . . thanks. I really appreciate it. I was wondering how I was going to milk, go to my ASL classes all morning, come home, go to work all after noon, and finally end up milking a 8pm. That is what my worst day looks like. But I can milk in the morning and turn the kids out with the does and then bring them in at night. That sounds like a good plan to me. Plus I am softy, I don't know if I could handle ripping the kids away from mom right away. Heck I just have to get through the kidding.

9. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I have bottlefed every year at kidding season. But it's not cause I pull my kids. It's usually because I end up giving in and breaking down and buying a cute bottle baby or two that I see and can't resist ! lol ! But NOT this year ! I have no plans of getting another bottle baby any time soon. Then this past kidding season one of my does rejected her baby completely. So I ended up bottle feeding her to.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't bottlefeed....mama knows best as far as regulation on amounts and time. I do separate kids from mom at night at 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old...9-10 pm and then milk at 4:30 am..before work...worked well this past Spring and all kids thrived.

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I used to bottle rear the kids when I first got the goats (in 2005 and 2006) because I was told by a friend that they wouldnt be tame if they were dam reared, and that we couldnt have the milk. But then the cries of their mammy got to my heart. Even if I only let her see them for the shortest time possible, she would cry and cry. And I decided to try dam raising. So - I did, and they were sweet and tame and they didnt come to me just for food, they came to me for huggles. (which was sweet). I did have to bottle raise in 2007 because Will was unable to keep her triplets due to health problems (and then dying). But Whisper has been able to keep both sets of twins and IMHO they've been just as sweet as the bottle babies have - less demanding, that's for sure. I just separate them from their dams at night time, milk in the morning (just once a day is nice as well) and then put the kids back on her.

Seems to work for all of us. . . (and CAE isnt much my concern)

12. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thank you, everyone. I was also concerned about the dams too. I have hear so many stories about the bond between a doe and her kids I would hate to break that up. I am too much of a softy.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it does make it hard when they leave once they are of age but the moms do get over it. I usually try to leave for that day or two :wink: to much crying for my heart to take :( Some moms do better then others though