The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really got to thinking about this trip. With the year that I've had, I'm ready to just relax for a bit.
Our vacation will only be 10 days long and the thought of spending 4 days and $500.00 of it driving 8 hours a day while trying to keep the boys happy and healthy, just doesn't sound like that much fun right now.

Sooo, we will be ditching Utah for the Mount. Hood wilderness area. Est, drive time 4 1/2 hours. Est. gas cost $120.00 round trip.

The little campground I found has this run down...
Campground is situated among pine with underbrush on ****** Creek. There is fishing for trout and swimming in the creek. Supplies are available in *****. Deer and small wildlife frequent the area. Hiking and horse trails that lead into ****** Creek Wilderness are located nearby. There are 8 sites at the campground. Camping with horses is permitted. The maximum trailer length is 16 feet.
Campground provides restrooms and drinking water.
Overnight fee $11.00 per night.
I do notice that they don't mention the bears. We've camped in this area before, I guess they didn't want to scare anyone off. :rolleyes:
I am trading a hectic hot drive through the desert and 3 nights of camping for a nice mountain drive, no freeways, and an entire week of camping, fishing, and hiking under old growth forest.
I'm envisioning long lazy days of packing lunch and gear on Bean and just seeing what we find.

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
Your change of plans sounds like the better route to go. I wouldn't want to be bothered with the long drive either.

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Planning a base camp hiking trip

28 days and counting:
The boys are eating as many calories as can be safely stuffed down them daily. Their grain is 2 parts rolled oats and 1 part beet pulp pellets (by weight) free choice alfalfa pellets and good orchard grass hay. We have green grass now so that will help. We want well conditioned goats to start with, they will lose weight even with grain while hiking.
They are getting flavoring added to their water. This way I can keep it up at the camp and they won't fuss about the water change so much.
They are getting their feet done weekly, we want perfect hooves when we leave.

Looking arong my living room I see, parts for a new highline, rope for new picket lines, contents of my first aid box all over the work table, a goat coat that needs repaired, and a baby LaMancha :eek:

There's much to do in the coming 4 weeks, I keep you up to date.

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, baby Dexter will be going. I like to teach all my bucks to work. It keeps them easy to handle and burns off energy during the summer.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
AWE..sounds like a nice time...and I agree you traded good : ) long hot miserable for quick and relaxing..enjoy...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts