The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my goats on a good custom mineral mix made for my area, well I ran out faster than expected because we turned our two young heifers and one young steer in with the herd. Next thing I know all my minerals are gone. So grabbed a bag of Purina wind rain storm or something like that for winter months and started putting that out for everyone. Oh my! I started with a cup in one feeder to see if anyone ate it. That night it was gone, so gradually increased the amount I put out trying to find the magic number where there is still some left the next day. Well I am now up to half a coffee can for them and like 8 goats a DAY! Does this sound right? I did 1/4 coffee can for two weeks, sometimes once a day sometimes twice, in desperation I jumped up to half a can, this weekend I gave half in the am half in the pm and it was still almost all licked clean. I am happy they are eating so much but a little concerned they are super deficient, the goats also dive into it. They also have a selenium and a cobalt block.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
three mini cross year old calves eating half a coffee can every day? Man! On my second bag now and bet we hit number 3 before the grass grows! LOL no biggie, I was just really surprised. I normally have about twice as many goats as I do now so was really surprised at how fast the minerals were going! Oh well, maybe one day they will slow down some.

·
8,187 Posts
If you have cows, get them a mineral block. They may decide licking is more fun. The goats will lick it, but should still go for the loose minerals. Maybe only put the loose where the cows can't get them, but the goats can.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sounds to me like something is not right. I know that animals can eat a lot of loose minerals if they are really deficient. But they should slow down and get caught up as in getting their body caught up on it's needs. What else is there to eat ? How much feed/hay are you giving them? Our goats eat mineral mixed 50/50% with Diamond V yeast, and especially when heavy bred and getting late in the cycle. But after they kid then they slow down and it is just kinda a some times thing for them from then on until the next breeding season has passed and they are carrying kids again. Do you have loose salt available to them all the time ? They may be needing the salt !

Reactions: Jessica84

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
It sounds like the cows are after the salt to me too, especially if it’s warm where you are. I second getting the mineral block and putting out. It’s cheap and as long as you keep it out of any rain it will last awhile so even if that’s not what they are after you won’t be out much, but if that is what they are after you save a lot lol

·
8,187 Posts
Are the minerals actually getting consumed, or are they getting pawed at and dumped? I have a group of 16, they waste their minerals, so I only put out what will be consumed in a short time.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I agree with the questions and ideas here, but I gotta say, I'm laughing reading the solution to keep the cattle minerals somewhere the cattle can't get to them to save them for the goats!

"Hey Purina! Your goat minerals are subpar, but your W&R,S Cattle minerals are so good, I'm not giving them to the cattle, only my goats!"

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, yes I don't care for the Purina goat mineral. I have a feeder attached to a building, so they can't dump it or paw through it. We feed 3rd cutting alfalfa, we fill the feeder twice a day, usually a little left at the next feeding, plus grass is starting to grow and they spend time in the pasture. I will grab a couple blocks to have around, maybe it will help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts