The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately with everything that has been going on with moving to a new home and all the problems that we have been going through, I have had to take a good hard look and be honest with myself about what I can and can't do. I have decided to work on getting down to just 2 does that I would breed every other year (does on opposite years) so that I would only have one goat giving birth per year. So I am going to work on phasing out the Nigerians and just have 2 full size girls that I'm hoping will milk through so I can just breed them every other year.

I bought 2 young does that I'm hoping will fit the bill. I needed young ones so the Nigerians don't get knocked around and bullied. So right now the Nigerians have the upper hand!

I got one Lamancha. She was born in March. Her name is Mocha.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Never thought I would ever own a LaMancha but they have grown on me. The breeder is also only 30 minutes away and is going to allow me to use her bucks. So this will make it easier for me at breeding time since I can't own any bucks.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Thanks! Never thought I would ever own a LaMancha but they have grown on me. The breeder is also only 30 minutes away and is going to allow me to use her bucks. So this will make it easier for me at breeding time since I can't own any bucks.
THAT'S a plus for sure! Congrats. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through a rough period, but I sure understand the part about what you can and can't do. I had a friend that had LaMancha's and, if your does milk like hers did, you won't have to worry about running short of milk! I hope everything works out for you and things stop being difficult. Mocha and Tabitha are very pretty girls!

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! All I can say is that buying a foreclosure home sure gives you lots of surprises and can be a lot of work. What we thought was basically a cosmetic fix up house turned into more than that. So we are being kept pretty busy with things for the house.

·
379 Posts
Love love love Mocha!!! Both are wonderful!! I don't think you will be disappointed with the LaMancha's. 3 of my girls give me around 5 lbs ea per milking. And that is since they have leveled off. They peaked at 7lbs ea per milking. I've never tried it but have a friend that has milked through many does before. I am going to cross my LaMancha doelings to my Nubian buck in the fall. Glad to see what their ears might look like. I am hoping for more butterfat like the Nubian with the production of the LaMancha. ( :

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Awe they are really pretty and cute too.

Ive thought of changing it up and switching back to standards. But for now Im sticking with my nigerians. Probably best since they are easier to handle being pregnant and soon to have a newborn. I will also feel safer with him around the smaller goats.

But who knows what the future will be. I look forward to watching your girls grow up they seem to be stylish darlings

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I never thought I would even consider getting out of Nigerians but I had to be honest and realize that I want the milk more than anything. Plus I will never show goats which I had wanted to do.

Then I also moved into a HIGHLY populated Nigerian Dwarf area and I'm having a harder time selling goats. So having fewer kids to sell in a year will help since I'm not doing the marketing I used to do.

We have had so many changes happen over the last 2 years and we are tired. Just looking at what we are doing and find ways to give ourselves a break and take time to enjoy life once in a while.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yup I plan on changing things up next year when I have the cash to do so. I want to invest in one or two really nice milk does and then go from there. Because milk is going to be what will repay my efforts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts