Changing milk from replacer to goat milk

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Jan 16, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    As you all know our babies are being fed Nurse All replacer and doing really well on it. However this stuff is expensive @$15/bag. They are now drinking 8ozs x3/day. 1 bag doesn't last more than a week. I have a Nubian doe who should be freshening this next month. IF she produces enough milk for her kid(s) with extra for me, can I give this to the older babies without compromising their growth? I would wean them off the replacer slowly. I am more concerned with the fat content. The replacer is much higher in fat than the highest percentage of fat in goat milk.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mix the replacer as usual, but when you fill the bottles do 3/4 replacer and 1/4 milk for a day or 2 , gradually increasing the amount of milk with each feeding until it's all milk.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The lower fat content won't mess with their growth will it?

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If you think about it, goat milk was created specifically for goats with just the right amount of fat. :wink:

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I understand this. The replacer they are on has a whole lot more fat content than goat milk. This is the part I am concerned with. They will be going from a higher fat content to a lower fat content. I know in store bought milk low fat means less calories and shouldn't be fed to babies. This is why I was wondering if it would mess with their growth because they are used to the higher fat. I hope that makes sense.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    nope, they will be absolutely fine. You have given them a great start with the top notch replacer :thumb: just make sure you will obtain enough from the Nubian, you dont want to cut them down, which could lead to all sorts of bad.

Mix it 75% replacer and 25% milk for three days, then 50% replacer and 50% milk for three days, then 25% replacer and 75% milk for three days, then 100% milk. Good idea to put some probios in the bottles while you are swapping them over, and try to minimise any other stress.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Goat milk is plenty good for them, better than replacer IMO regardless of fat content. You have to remember that depending upon the replacer, the fat that they are getting from it may not be milk fat, animal fats and soy are usually added to replacer to up the fat and neither of those are really good for kids.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everyone .... :) correct da moon doe (sp) :thumbup:

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The replacer I am using contains no soy as I was told it was bad for babies. I don't know what they used as the fat though. I just figured the goats milk,if there was enough would be best for them. Besides being alot cheaper. I ca do without ice cream if it will make my babies healthier.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hey if you are worried -- or if she doesnt have enough milk --- just give half and half. THat would stretch the replacer too

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    This is a good idea. Shes a big girl but this is her first time. Her udder is looking pretty good to me but what do I know. All my goats have been too young to breed or male. This will be my first time also.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes at first they have enough then for a month their kids eat a lot then as production picks up there is extra. A way to get milk as well as let the kids nurse is to separate them for a couple hours at night. (I put separate at say 11:00pm and then milk in the morning around 6 or 7). I was first worried about separting them then realized.... wait I let my bottle kids go that long without feeding as I dont feed them through the night after they are a week old.

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will be learning to milk on this doe so I hope she is patient. Hopefully I will be able to milk 2x per day, have to figure out my work schedule and coordinate it with milking. Separating may be a problem since I don't have separate pens right now. I am going to make a kidding hut and pen but it will be a temp thing.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I STRONGLY suggest you have a go milking someone else's established goat first.

Its tough if both her and you are first timers.

Just a thought.

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I can probably do that since the babies mom is being milked now. I could ask him if he would allow me to learn on either one of them.

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thats a GREAT idea - will make it a lot easier on the both of you when the Nuby kids.