The Goat Spot Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The main goal of the trip: Wild Horse Window, a giant cave half-way up the 'reef', which is the outer edge of the San Rafael Swell's up-thrust zone. The sandstone is tilted and with no real trail, you have to navigate a series of giant solidified dunes and navigate to the window.

Above you can see the top of Wild Horse Window peeking above the sandstone dunes.

Bourbon, the loyalest goat I've ever met.

Wild Horse Window is a giant cave with a hole in the roof. Its only a couple miles of hiking to get to it, with nothing toooo terribly steep. Not that many people know about it though.

The Freemont Indians knew about it.

The view from inside the cave. BTW I know its 2020 and this is the 2018 thread. I've done a poor job of keeping up to date on my posts.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Crack Canyon. The road sucked more than last time I went here. The hike was great, though. A big rock fell into the best stuff and covered it all with powdered sandstone (Some call it "sand"). Here are the pics:

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
We camped near Windowblind and Assembly Hall mesas at the mouth of Buck Horn Draw. To my surprise there were coyotes singing in the riverbottoms, but none bothered us. I'm sure Luna would have run interference if needed.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Some of us climbed up on the reef.

Shelby GT staring off at the Goblin Valley formation in the distance.

I found some colorful sandstone with a red/pink stain, and a yellow stain. It made for great photos.

That was it for my life as a goat pack guide. I drove home that night and everyone else continued on with their adventure (more desert trekking in Little Wild Horse Canyon, then on to Escalante) or headed home to Texas and Oregon. I think everyone had a great time!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts