Charlotte update

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, May 5, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Anyone around tonight?

Charlotte is not well ... she wont eat anything, is just sitting, doesnt want to come for a walk with me (very unusual for her) and I just noticed she is squatting and really really straining to urinate, but nothing coming out. Temp is 101.8.

Her breath smells slightly sweet ...

No tenderness anywhere including round her kidneys, no strange smell to the urine, there hasnt been any change of feed ...

Ideas please?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Doe straining to urinate, nothing coming out, off feed ...

Assumign she is not pregnant I am going to say it sounds like a Urinary tract infection

3. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire

I found this about URINARY CALCULI, but I tried it with my doe who had a weird looking urine and trouble passing it, it seemed to help. I know it says for a buck as doe dont get stones like a buck does but I tell you after 2 days she was streaming pee where it had been slimy and dripping out not streaming

Juice of one Lemon
    2 Tablespoons of Baking Soda
    1 Cup of Water
    Drench the buck with 20 cc, 3 times a day the first day, 2 time a day for two days, then once a day until the urine is full and steady. Keep it up, every other day, then twice a week, if the animal is confortable and has a succesful flow.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Stacey, that was my thought, it just came on so suddenly :shrug: she was fine when I saw her at lunch, nothing near like fine this evening. She'd only be about 30 days pregnant. I figure an abortion at this stage wouldnt affect her, it would just be like a normal heat.

Given that it was Charlotte, my best show doe, plus she'd had the caesarian last year, I was a little more worried than usual.

I've given her a shot of antibiotics, some B12 and some electrolytes and glucose. Put her up in a warm stall with a rug on and a wide range of foods to choose from - she's not interested in any.

Its midnight now and I'm going to head off to bed for a few hours, will get up later and check on her.

What would you give to UTI? I've never had a goat with one before ... I know you can get stuff for horses, or I have some Ural here (human UTI treatment) ...

thanks for the recipe nhsmallfarmer :thumb:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Isn't sweet breath a sign of ketosis?

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Yes, although I'm not sure why she would be ketotic because she's not heavily pregnant ... she is rather fat though and I'm thinking that if she hadnt eaten for a day and her body was breaking down her fat for nutrition, that is what causes the build up of ketones and makes the breath smell sweet, so I think that MIGHT explain it.

She's straining while she's laying down today. Looks for all the world like she is kidding when she does it.

I'm not sure if she's passed any faeces, either. I have her in a small pen so I can watch for that.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I hope you can figure out what is wrong :pray: :hug:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

she has a bit over an hour to pass some faeces, otherwise we will do an enema.

Still not sure entirely what exactly is wrong with her :(

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

No idea whats up with her but just wanted you to know I'm praying for her. :pray:

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

thank you :hug:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Re: Doe straining to urinate, went to the vet

Took Miss Charlotte to the vet today, as there was no improvement.

Basically she said it could be three things:

1) Urinary tract infection - not too serious, treat for 7 - 10 days with antibiotics

2) Urinary tract infection which has spread to the kidneys (cant remember the name for it) - this is pretty serious and needs antibiotics for 4 - 6 weeks

3) An adhesion from the surgery (she had a c-section about 6 mths ago) which has caused the bladder to sit in the wrong position in the body, which will predispose the bladder to infections - treat as above but she will be prone to it all her life.

So we took a urine sample and it has been sent off to the lab for analysis, results will be back either tomorrow or Saturday, in the meantime I am treating her with antibiotics. The lab is also going to check whether whatever bacteria is in the urine is actually going to be killed by my antibiotics, or if we need to use a different one, because she had a huge dose of the a/b after the caesar so it might be a resistant bug.

Poor Charlotte is not very happy :(

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

oh boy that must be frustrating. Hopefully there is a quick answer and it is a simple UTI

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

oh I hope so :( I just went and gave her her shot before I go to bed, she screamed and screamed and screamed for about 10 mins then ran up the ramp to hide in the back of my ute :( Poor girl.

I really hope its not too serious. if its gone to the kidneys I am NOT looking forward to 6 weeks of injections ... maybe I can get an oral a/b. And if its an adhesion ... poor girl being prone to it all the time ... but at least I will know and be able to watch for it and hit it early. I think this time, she might have been struggling to piddle for a few days - I remember seeing her squatting a couple times and thinking I was just seeing the end of it, thats why nothing was coming out, if you know what I mean ...

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Poor Charlotte....I am glad you took her to the vet... :hug: .....I pray ....that it will be a simple fix and she will be just fine ..... :hug: :pray:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Re: Doe straining to urinate, went to the vet, question?

A question ...

When I had her in at the vet yesterday, the vet said if she was a buck or wether she would pass a catheter to drain the bladder, but in a female it is so much more difficult, so she didnt do it. I was surprised.

The poor girl is really heaving today and trying to go all the time and not getting anything out.

I'm just worried that without the catheter she will rupture the bladder, and I wanted to know your thoughts?

I trust my vet I'm just surprised I thought the first thing they would do would be empty the bladder ... :shrug:

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

so you havent seen her urinate at all in a couple days? It might be worth a phone call to learn the risks and all. Because if she doesnt urinate soon she will die from that

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

If she hasn't urinated for a couple of days that you know of....... and she is drinking more water ....she is at high risk ....of rupturing her bladder definitely......she needs it drained some how....and soon :hug:

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

She gets about a table spoon out at the most, sometimes just a couple drops, whenever she tries to go. Which is about every 4 minutes. Maybe that is why the vet wasnt so worried, because there is a tiny bit coming out? :shrug: But it definitely concerns me. She's drinking, not a heap but some. Hopefully she (vet) will call with test results soon and I will ask her about it.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Keren ....did the vet tell you.... when the results will be in?

that is good .... she is urinating at least a little......I pray.... the results will come in soon and be a good outcome...... :hug: :pray: