Charlotte's story

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Oct 29, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I bought Franklin Park Charlotte at weaning for a stud and show doe. I took her to Canberra Royal this year (February) where she recieved many positive comments and fifth place in a class of 21 goats, behind does from the top studs in Australia.

I joined her as she was very well grown at 8 months old, to a son of Amarni Ningaloo (excellent buck). I kept the nutrition up to her and she grew out well, despite being pregnant.

Well, her due date was only a few days away, but one Saturday morning I knew that today was the day. She had been murmuring all morning, but not doing much else. I was supposed to be leaving at 10 am to go off to a cattle show, but I hung around longer to watch her (wasnt going to leave a show doe and a maiden by herself to kid). Anyway, she just appeared to stay in the early stages, and I have seen does, particularly maidens, stay that way for hours. I didnt think there was any trouble, but since I was needing to leave I decided I would hurry things along and pull the kids if she was dilated.

Well I entered her, and she was in full blown labour and what I felt was ... four legs and no head. Oh dear. So I located two front legs and a head belonging to the same kid, put ropes on the legs, then tried to push the other one back. Nope, not working. She's pushing too hard for me to push it back. So I slung her back end up on a couple of hay bales. Bingo, one kid slides back in.

This is where the problems happened. When kid #2 slid back, kid #1 who I had the ropes on, his head was resting on kid #2, and his suddenly unsupported head flung round with a fair bit of force, and those nasty sharp teeth sliced my hand and ... the does uterus.

I could feel a rupture about 5 cm long, now the problem was the kids head was now twisted around to the side, and I couldnt get it up because it kept falling through the rupture. I tried for about 30 min to deliver that kid, and I couldnt.

I called a friend half an hour down the road, asked if she could see if she could get it out. All this time, I had my hand in the doe holding the kids head still, so it wouldnt rupture her any more. My friend came out, she couldnt reposition the kid either. I knew the kid was still alive because it was trying to bite me lol

I called my vet (who is wonderful, by the way) and told him I would be in at the clinic in half an hour. Chucked her in the back seat of my nissan pulsar and drove in. When we got there, he met us (vet closed at 12 noon on saturday by this time it was 12.30pm) and felt in her. He felt the rupture, which had gotten bigger with the drive in, he said we can probably pull these kids or otherwise we can do a caesarian, with the caesarian there is the added benefit of being able to stitch the rupture at the same time. With that in mind, I opted for a caesarian. At this stage I knew that the stuck kid was still alive, no idea about the one that had dissapeared, but I didnt care about the kids I just wanted my doe alive.

We did the caesar inside the theatre using the dog and cat instruments. First out was the one that had dissapeared earlier - vet put him on the floor and he immediately went scooting round on the lino. So I named him Dynamo. The stuck buck took a little longer to get out but was alive also, named him Double Trouble since he caused all the trouble and he was double the size of Dynamo.

When the vet went to repair the rupture, he said it was 3mm off the main uterine artery, so if we had decided to pull the kids we would have killed the doe.

She was so good, didnt get infection or sick, loved the kids right from the start and is doing a fantastic job on them.

Charlotte at Canberra Royal

[​IMG]

I think this was about four days after the birth

[​IMG]

The incision - 12 stitches

[​IMG]

Dynamo today

[​IMG]

Double Trouble today (you can see how mum has healed in the background)

[​IMG]

I doubt DT will make a buck, but Dynamo is showing potential.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW you sure have some amazing stories.

So it sounds like you have a good vet. Are there a lot of vets that know goats over there? It is very hard to fine them here in the US. They say the demand is just not there so most vets do not deal with goats, but when you can find one that does, they are WONDERFUL.
    Those babies are so cute and mom looks wonderful. Must be all that special care and attention they get for a owner that loves them. :hi5:

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wow...that's amazing that everybody is doing fine after all that! Charlotte is really pretty as are her two boys! :)

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What a beautiful story, and all is well with Charlotte and her boys....all thanks to you for being such a great goat mom!

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    thats a terrifying story, but i'm so happy you have such a great vet!

dynamo is a chunk! look at that width!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    beautiful story ...... :) ......wow that is amazing and story..........I agree with SDK...dynamo is a chunk! look at that width! Love your goats,,, :love:

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow, that was a very frightening story but I am so glad it ended well. :) Happy endings are wonderful and look at the two handsome boys you got! Your doe looks very happy too.

We are fortunate to have a really good goat vet fairly close by. This vet is probably known by a lot of dairy goat breeders on here, she's a top breeder of Alpines and other dairy goats too, Dr. Lauren Acton, I think is her name. She has "Spotlight" kids for sale all the time. She has the tiniest little hands that have delivered so many baby goats! She told me once she's assisted thousands of deliveries. I am soooo glad she is close by! Only problem is she works only part-time, but she's training the other vets at the clinic to work with goats.

8. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i have to ask some questions
    first - wonderful story - so happy all turned out well
    but your first statement confused me
    she is a doe, obviously, but you called her a stud too
    here, a stud is a buck
    there were other terms in another post but i cant remember them now...?
    but what do you mean by a stud doe???

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks everyone :)

Toth and SDK ... I really do like the natural muscling and thickness of Dynamo ... although he is not an outstanding buck I believe there is a place in the industry for him, being as well muscled as he is. They are about 5 weeks in those last two photos. Double Trouble is the complete opposite - he has all the stretch and frame but is not as well muscled and thick. I decided to wether him because of that - but also I saw today he has VERY bad teats - so I would have wethered him because of that anyway. Dynamo has four excellent teats.

One of the things I am not happy with in the Australian show ring is the emphasis given to colour and head shape. Honestly, animals in our ring are judged first on head and horn shape, next on colour (they do not accept anything but strict traditional colour) and after that it is simply the oldest fattest goat wins. They do not give as much emphasis on meat attributes - if there is a really thick well muscled goat but there is one that has a better head, or if the thick goat has too much colour on his body, the other one will get it. Our judges seem to forget that these are MEAT ANIMALS!

:oops: Sorry I will get off my soap box now.

Lori, I am lucky to have a really good vet. I am about half an hour out of town and I just take the goats into the clinic. He has had some experience with goats, not a lot, and he is always willing to give it a go. He had done goat caesars before, but always out in the paddock, never in the small animal theatre! We have two large animal/combination vet clinics in our area, and I am so happy with the one I go to. The other vet often isnt all that keen to try anything with the goats, they often say 'Oh, just take it home and shoot it', and one time I had a friend bring her goat there and they euthanased the animal without consulting her. :shocked: :veryangry: :(

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is a terrible thing to say!!! :angry: :tears:

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    HH - sorry for the confusion. 'Stud doe' is used for 'registered doe' - a stud doe is registered fullblood or purebred with the Australian Boer Goat Breeders Association (BGBAA). Other animals were would call 'crossie does' for crossbreds (we dont register crossbreds here), 'commercial does' could be fullblood, purebred or crossbred but unregistered, or just 'doe'.

The term 'stud' used for a sire is generally only used in the horse, dog and cat world here, not in the production animals.

If any other of my Aussie words confuse me, let me know and I will explain them. 'Poddy' always seems to confuse people ...

Capriola ... I agree. Many of those goats are not that bad. I know if I had taken Charlotte to them I would have got that response ... instead I took her to my vet and for only $380 I have three live animals. Charlotte herself is worth around $600, Dynamo as a buck another $700 and Double Trouble as a wether $50.