The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Anatolian shepherds; both are still growing, but at this point my female is 91lbs and my male is 123lbs. As I'm sure many of you know worming and flea and tick medication is really pricey. We'll do what we gotta do, but currently we are paying around $50 a month on this stuff. We are using Iterceptor plus for worms and K9 Advantix II for flea and tick (so far it has still been working for us, although we have heard that resistance is growing). We looked into getting a combination medication for worms, fleas, and ticks, but couldn't find anything that kills the same amount of stuff as what we are already using. For example Revolution does not kill ticks and we have a big problem with those in our area.

So do we have any better options? What do you guys use?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes heartworm is a problem in our area as well as pretty much any other parasite that can affect a dog! We thought about the seresto collars, but we don't like having collars on them and we don't want to have to worry about not touching the chemically collars.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No we didn't. We use interceptor for worms and K9 advantage (or advantix, I can't remember) for flea and tick. If you aren't apposed to flea collars those are a lot cheaper than topical and oral medications.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
We use injectable ivermectin for heartworms/intestinal worms and Nexgard when we have fleas. The Nexgard knocks out the fleas and they don't come back.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It is 1 cc per 100 pounds (of the injectable for cattle), so I use an insulin syringe and just give a unit per pound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts