The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so this is my list for medicine cabinet and kidding :) Please tell me if I need anything else.. I colored it mainly for my purpose, of where to get.

Jeffers.
Coccidia treatment- Albon, Demethox or Baycox (havn't decided which yet)
Wormer- cydectin
Nutri Drench
Activated charcoal

TSC
Probios
LA200
Bloat release
b complex

Any store.
Pepto Bismal
Thermometer
Triple Antibiotic ointment
Asprin
Childrens Liquid Benadryl
Gloves
lube
Bulp syringe
antibacterial soap

HAVE.
Needles
Syringes
Drench gun
Penicillin
Blu-kote
Bag balm
flashlight
Karo syrup
coffee
molasses
vet wrap
towels
blow dryer
dental floss
stethoscope

For these I need to know where I get them at, and what ever is asked beside it:)

Thiamine -Why do I need? http://www.jefferspet.com/search.asp?camid=LIV&ss=Thiamine&search-submit=GO-- Which one?
Banamine

Iron Supplement - red cell or injectable iron
Epinephrine
Vitamin C tablets-Why do I need?
Iodine 7%

Thank you for your help !

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Thiamine-for deficiencies, and a jump start for sick goats.
Banamine- for pain
Nutri drench- packed with vitamins to give kids a jump start and to help goats that go down
Activated charcoal- given if they have toxins and/or been poisoned
Iron- for anaemia
Epinephrine- for anaphylactic shock
Vitamin C- for help with mastitis, or deficiencies
Iodine- umbilical cord dip, or wounds.

Hope i answered some of your questions.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thiamine-for deficiencies, and a jump start for sick goats. -- I can't find it, where can I buy?
Banamine- for pain ---thanks, I cant find it any where though, where do you buy yours ?
Nutri drench- packed with vitamins to give kids a jump start and to help goats that go down was the link I posted for the correct item ?
Activated charcoal- given if they have toxins and/or been poisoned http://www.jefferspet.com/search.asp?camid=LIV&ss=Activated+Charcoal&search-submit=GO<< is the left the correct thing?
Iron- for anaemia-- where do I buy this?
Epinephrine- for anaphylactic shock-- where do I buy this ?
Vitamin C- for help with mastitis, or deficiencies where do I buy this?
Iodine- umbilical cord dip, or wounds. I can't find 7% anywhere, or Iodine for that matter /:

Hope i answered some of your questions thanks! you did :) .
I replied to some and put mine in red.. I can't find those items in stores or on Jeffers.. I don't think I am looking in the right spot lol

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You can get Thiamine at a vet, or through VetServ if you have an account
Banamine- vet, or VetServ
Nutri drench- that's the right one in the link
Activated charcoal- yes the one in the left, you can also use aquarium charcoal
Iron- you can use red cell, they make injectable iron, but it is labeled for pigs, you can find it on Jeffers
Epinephrine- vet or VetServ
Vitamin C- the injectable you get at a vet or VetServ, but you can use people vitamins in a pinch
Iodine- 7% is really hard to find, ask your vet. 7% is not needed, but it us the better on to use.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
A few things I would put on your list would be

Terramycin ointment (for eye infections)
Scarlex (scarlet oil, it's germacidal, fungicidal, antiseptic)
CD&T anti toxin
Bloodstop powder (or ground alum)
Feeding tube (for kids)
Some Pritchard nipples (incase you need to bottle feed)
Kaopectate (stops diarrhea better than pepto)

I'll add more as I think of them

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few things I would put on your list would be

Terramycin ointment (for eye infections) have you ever used vetercyn (idk how to spell) for this ? I love the product but idk if it would work for eye infections, I know they have one for pink eye, and eye wash or something like that.
Scarlex (scarlet oil, it's germacidal, fungicidal, antiseptic)- have a bottle of it:)
CD&T anti toxin---Vaccine right? I have a brand new bottle :)
Bloodstop powder (or ground alum)---Have ground alum from when my horse tried to cut his face off
Feeding tube (for kids)--- did you see the link I posted above, would that be a good one?
Some Pritchard nipples (incase you need to bottle feed)--have 12 I believe, and a couple "human" bottles with nipples :)
Kaopectate (stops diarrhea better than pepto) where do I get this?

I'll add more as I think of them
Thanks! :)

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Also have heat lamps and sweaters for babies :)

I can't find the meds to treat coccidia on Jeffers.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
The Vetercyn is more of an eye soother, it doesn't work on infections.

The CD&T anti toxin is not the vaccine, the vaccine it the toxoid, not the anti toxin. It is used to bind toxins, like when they have bloat, off feed, sick, etc.

I didn't see the link for the feeding tube , but I buy mine at Jeffers.

Kaopectate- you can buy the tiny 8oz bottles at a grocery store in the pharmacy isle, or you can buy it by the gallon at Jeffers (on Jeffers it's called Kao-Pec). I buy it by the gallon, much cheaper that way.

·
1,384 Posts
Procain G
another wormer, like a white wormer, valbazen or synanthic
light corn syrup
baking soda
black strap molasses
for sure a feeding tube
pepto bismo or kaolin pectin for livestock
electrolytes. Re-sorb is a good one for older animals and I like Sav a caf plus a lot as well.
30 and 50 cc feeding/drenching syringes
a topical for the hooves, like koppertox

Edited: I see you have a couple of these things already, I missed them in the already have list.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Procain G- what is that
another wormer, like a white wormer, valbazen or synanthic-- any horse pastes that are white wormer ?
light corn syrup for what
baking soda have it :)
black strap molasses have it :)
for sure a feeding tube
pepto bismo or kaolin pectin for livestock getting it
electrolytes. Re-sorb is a good one for older animals and I like Sav a caf plus a lot as well. have a big bag of them lol
30 and 50 cc feeding/drenching syringes have
a topical for the hooves, like koppertox.. for what ? where do I buy ?

Tylan200- what is this? what is it for ?
Powdered colostrum, had forgot about that!
A few sizes of the drench gun have :)
Maybe a bander for castrating have, at what age do you band ?

Thanks ladies!!! You guys are so much help !

·
1,384 Posts
Procain G- what is that
another wormer, like a white wormer, valbazen or synanthic-- any horse pastes that are white wormer ?
light corn syrup for what
baking soda have it :)
black strap molasses have it :)
for sure a feeding tube
pepto bismo or kaolin pectin for livestock getting it
electrolytes. Re-sorb is a good one for older animals and I like Sav a caf plus a lot as well. have a big bag of them lol
30 and 50 cc feeding/drenching syringes have
a topical for the hooves, like koppertox.. for what ? where do I buy ?

Tylan200- what is this? what is it for ?
Powdered colostrum, had forgot about that!
A few sizes of the drench gun have :)
Maybe a bander for castrating have, at what age do you band ?

Thanks ladies!!! You guys are so much help !
Procain G is a penicillin, it the shorter acting one and not the long acting one.
Valbazen nor synanthic come in horse wormers, The only white horse wormer is safeguard which I don't find works as well. valbazen is cheaper than synanthic and normally is around $40 for a bottle. Synanthic comes in two strength, I have only purchased the stronger strength and it is $100 for a bottle, but you can keep it in mind and get a few doses from a vet, if need be. Valbazen is nice because it will also help some with liver flukes, Although Ivermectin PLUs, injectable for cattle is the best choise for liver flukes. Liver flukes is more of a southern problem.
White wormers will help with tapeworms. Wormers like ivermectin, cydectin(moxidectin) do not treat tapeworms. That Is why I always suggest a white wormer to have around and clear wormer. Not that I am suggesting rotating.
Valbazen can NOT be given to pregnant goats, the others are okay.

LIght Karo corn syrup is a very good source of sugar for the brain. If you mix 2 parts corn syrup, 1 part black strap molasses and 1 part Corn oil you will have a very good energy drench that is way tastier than power punch or commercial nutridrenches. then I add some 50% dextrose and calcium glocunate to thin it a squirt of B-complex and cut open a couple Vitamin E gell caps for people and at it to the mix. Great energy drench for sick animals and pregnant animals that are having pregnancy toxemia problems. give 3 to 4 ounces couple times a day for a large standard size goat.

Corn syrup(light) is also great to use on a weak cold newborn. thin with a little worm water or hot black regular coffee(not decaf) and drip 5 to 10 cc's in the baby goats mouth while you warm the kid. If the kid is standing but I just can't get them to nurse, I will mix 5 cc(1 teaspoon) 15 to 30 cc's of mom's milk and drip that into their mouth using a 3 cc syringe. Then keep trying to get them to nurse. Although this year we have been quicker to grab the feeding tube and just use that instead of messign around with a kid that wont nurse a few cc's at a time. We will tube them 2 or 3 ounces of mothers milk (as long as they are able to stand)
and then give them 4 or 5 hours to rest and try again to get them to nurse.

banding should be done later if the wether is going to be a long term pet, try to wait until 4 or 5 months of age, our wethers are terminal at about 6 to 7 months of age and we band at 8 weeks of age. Some prefer to wait until 6 months or more and then have a vet castrate them so they have had plenty of time to grow and have a large enough urinary track to help prevent build up of stones.

Ammonia chloride would be good to have on hand if you are doing much with wethers long term. It is like a salt and it pretty cheap. Some feed stores will sell you a lb out of their stock room. A product called "Fruit Fresh," a powder you sprinkle on fruit, can also be kept on hand. It is acidic and can help break up the stones, but for a real problem you really need ammonia Chloride.

mineral oil, is great if you have a goat with bad bloat or got into your feed room. It can be tubed if the animal is really bad. and takes several ounces of the oil to coat the stomach to help reduce frothy bloat.

It is good to have two types of antibiotics on hand, a penicillin and a tetracycline. Penicillin is great for injuries and young kids and tetracyclene is great for foot problems and older goats and also for any kidding infections/abortions and pink eye.

Koppertox or hoof and heal products can be purchased at any feed store. I like the koppertox brand but there is a generic brand. The generic brand is a little runnier, it is a green liquid you squirt it on the hoof and between the toes when there are hoof problems.

you can also squiret LA 200(tetracycline) product between toes. generic forms of LA 200 are available such as biomycin injectable.

Maybe products will have more than one name, you can check active ingredients in the products to compare them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts