·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10 parts sweet oats
5 parts rolled barley
5 parts rice bran meal (12-12-12)
5 parts 17% alfalfa pellets

It works out to about 10% min. protein, 5% min. fat, and 15% max. fiber.
It seems like low protein and high fat compared to other feeds, but according to my research, it should be about right. Nigerians put a lot of fat into their milk (more than other goats) and they need this replenished. This would be fed to dry does between breeding. Good hay is so hard to find around here and I'm hoping this will cut down on it. By the way, where I'm from, this feed works out to about $0.36 per pound. All opinions welcomed! Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not familiar with 'sweet' oats, please explain? Is the barley steam rolled, or does it have molasses on it?
Sweet oats are basically whole oats coated in just enough molasses to make them a little sticky. They're sold as a horse feed and, by themselves, are 10% protein, 4% fat and 12% fiber.

The barley is steam rolled.

Sorry, I should have clarified this to begin with.:hammer:

·
Registered
133 Posts
No problem! :) I was pretty sure that was the case, but wanted to be sure. The molasses would be a deal breaker for me for a couple of reasons - 1) Molasses can change the ph of the rumen and cause problems. 2) Once an animal has been fed sweet feed it is next to impossible to transition them to feed that does not contain molasses. 3) Molasses is basically empty calories with very little nutritional value. Lose the molasses on the oats, steam roll the barley or feed it whole, and I'm pretty sure I've seen similar grain mixes that other people have said works very well for them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Chuckles! I appreciate your input. I get what your saying about molasses, but I think I will stick with sweet oats, just to make it a little more palatable. By the time it's all mixed up, there is hardly any in the mix. I also forgot to mention that I add baking soda any time I mix feed to buffer the acidity in the rumen and avoid those complications, especially when changing the goats' diet.:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
My mix is 2 parts oats, 2 parts barley, and 1 part Animax. They get free choice alfalfa.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I am not sure, I can try to calculate it. All the goats are doing really well on it and I am happy with the results :)

The Animax is pretty much the same as Calf Manna - a protein concentrate supplement. I wanted to use peas, but can't find them easily here, so I use the Animax instead.

·
I'm watching you
22,169 Posts
It's 15% protein Sydney, and 4% fat.

They don't need molasses to make whole oats palatable. Mine eat whole oats plain everyday of their life and never refuse them.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I also agree about cutting out the molasses...maybe only give it as a treat (with your herbal dewormer perhaps?). it's like feeding human kids sugar to get them to eat their food....

and, another thing to consider, when you're buying feed that has molasses in it, you're not buying 50lbs of oats plus molasses. you're buying oats AND molasses that add up to 50lbs (assuming you're buying 50 lb bags...).

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
We feed a sweet feed and have never had a problem with it. I've commented before that it amuses me that the consensus is that molasses is horrible for goats, yet it's recommended to add to water to make them drink more! You're not putting enough molasses into your mix to actually cause a problem. The other advantage to molasses is that babies will start to nibble on it a little faster than they will the plain. Just my opinion... The only change I would make is to add some BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) to your mix to add some extra fat. It will also add fiber and a little protein. Don't have the label in front of me so can't tell you how much. I would add like 1 part of BOSS....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts