Checking in on myself - LOL! Pics added 12/19

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by kelebek, Dec 18, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Well, we got hit with a heck of a storm that started yesterday mid day - and just let up. We went from 1 inch of snow to almost 4 feet. We are ok and went to town today - which thankfully we made it back up the hill to the ranch without having to walk.

It has been aweful. 2 hours of shoveling and digging last night and today. Need to do it again. Kids did it a couple times today. I think we are having a break - so I am going to go feed.

Most businesses are closed, buses have stopped, schools are closed, chains are required, people are idiot drivers, horses have icicles, other then that - we are all good! LOL!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Checking in on myself - LOL!

Thank Goodness!! I was wondering where you've been!

4 feet of snow??!! THAT has gotta be beautiful around your lake! Stay warm, and don't hurt yourself shoveling :hug:

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama

WOW! That is alot of snow! Well I am glad you made it to town and back ok! Try and stay warm!!! :shades:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Wow, 4 feet! Sounds like quite a mess, but I bet it sure is beautiful! How much do you guys usually get? We get about a foot each year sometimes more sometimes less. We have 4 inches now and it's supposed to snow all next week.

Glad you're doing alright....I was wondering where the heck you were! :D

5. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

Wow 4 feet of snow you did get blasted didn't you. :shocked: I am so glad to see you on here I was thinking about you in the middle of that snow storm. :hug:
    Dig you dig out the goats yet? :shrug:

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Oh Tina, you know that the goats were the first thing that I dug a path to - LOL! then the horses. My poor horses have iciles hanging from every inch of their body. They refuse to go into the treed area to stay out of the storm!

I will take lots of pics tomorrow. We had a heck of a night last night - seemed like everything went wrong - then today the darn semi trucks tried to kill us every time we blinked - jerks!

But I will explain everything later. I am now officially off of work until Jan 5th is when I will return. I just received an alert that my college that I work at is closed tomorrow also, and I started my vacation when I was to leave work tomorrow - so I am totally stoked! I got a full 2 1/2 weeks off of work paid with only taking 3 1/4 days of my vacation days! Woo Hoo!

So, I should be on a bunch. I am trying to get some text books in early for next semester for my bachelor's program - so will probobly study alot ....

OHHHHHH - and I bought the wire fencing to build some AWESOME hayracks. Hubby said he would help - but we will see. Also bought new bedding, so I am changing everything out and a new trough heater. So all are getting hoof trims, vaccinations, new feeders, and loves tomorrow!! I am stoked to spend so much time with them!

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Now, that's a lot of snow! I'm glad you were able to dig yourselves out!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Oh........ the weather outside is frightful .....but the pics are so delightful..LOL :greengrin:

That is truely.... alot of snow flakes....all in one basket... :shocked:

Glad everything is OK.... :thumbup:

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

:shocked: Wow, I am glad you are all ok. I know we are getting a heck of a storm this weekend also. It is the storm that just dumped snow in Vegas. So if they got it pretty good they said that it will be brewing to be bigger before it gets to us.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Well here are some pics that I took this morning for you all. This is in less then 48 hours and we still have snow coming down!!

Me - playing on the porch -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From where I was sitting in the snow - Octagon window next to slider is our bedroom -

[​IMG]

From where the slider was in the above pic looking toward the lake that you can't see because it is snowing -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Truck -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Truck tire tracks from yesterday - you can see the axels were scrapping the snow!

[​IMG]

Hay pile -

[​IMG]

Where my milk stand is!!! I have to uncover it today and move it!

[​IMG]

Boys stall - 2 rams 3 bucks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Girls area - looking from the buck stall in -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside the door way from above -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking out towards the girls' area -

[​IMG]

Sheep out in the snow -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Horses -

Knickers

[​IMG]

Laverne -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blues house in the horse pen - thank goodness I moved them into the horse stall!

[​IMG]

Luna playing in the horse pen -

[​IMG]

Luna and Paris in the horse pen -

[​IMG]

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Allison, It looks so beautiful and peaceful there.

I just wish I could leave my barn doors open if I got that much snow. It blows all the time and I have drifts in the barn if the doors are open, Heck I have some even if the doors are closed.
    It looks like everyone is fat and happy.
    looks like the lambs might disappear in all that snow, good thing they are not white. :slapfloor:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am glad that I moved my little 6 month old lamb into the barn with his "big brother" and the other boys - as he would have been lost in that snow - LOL!

Everyone seems to be doing well - so I am happy. Now to clean it all up and put down new bedding - which I was hoping to do before the snow hit - darn it. oh well. We are building new feeders tomorrow since I promised DH 1 day or R&R. And since we have everyone together - I don't like having to put some of the hay on the ground because there are so many "clicks" on who can eat where - it is aweful.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    snow is so beautiful to look at.......................but to work in it and the fact that it doesnt go away fast ........... no fun!

everyone looks content dispite all the new white stuff.

Are the sheep usually more accomidating to things like snow then goats are?

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Wow, look at all that snow!!! It is so beautiful! I can't help but think how crappy it's going to be when it all melts though! Stay warm!!

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Wow beautiful pictures of a very nice place..not to mention all your critters. We want to see your new hay racks when they are done you know!

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Beautiful pics Allison....though that IS alot of shovelling to do!

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh there will be so many pictures of the hay racks - but can't guarentee that they will be pretty - :ROFL: - cause if hubby doesn't help you never know what we might end up with - hehehe!

Yes, it is a HUGE muddy mess when it melts - so I hope that it will melt a little at a time - aghhhh - but nice thing is - is in spring - the rams, horses, and bucks will go back to the far pen and the girls will get their pen and the one the horses are in now. I just consolodate to make it easier to feed in winter! and heat water!

Stacey, they sheep are awesome with the snow - although they don't like it that deep, they do not have a problem out trapesing in it. They took off out there because I walked by them and they are so WILD. Now the big ram is getting better with us in the horse stall and he is starting to eat from our hands. The ewes should (hopefully) be lambing here within the next couple months so I am excited. It almost looks like one might be starting to build an udder on her. But 2 of them never lambed for me since I have had them in May, so I am hoping to catch them, palpate them, and see if there is anything in there. If not - freezer camp.

18. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Can you do me a favor and send me some of that white stuff???? I want about a foot of it sent to Searcy, AR :slapfloor:

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Alyssa,

How about you just come on up and stay a week - we have room!!!!

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, my DH saw these pics and said he hasn't seen that much snow since he left North Dakota over 20 years ago!( His family is from there)