Checking on an udder

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crocee, Feb 21, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I saw Pickles be covered by Zeus on Dec 10, so if she took she would be due May 10 or there abouts(5 day heat and all).
    When I went out to feed earlier today I noticed she has what looks like a very small udder forming and elongated teats. She will be a first timer and before now her udder was FLAT on her belly with VERY small teats. Her udder feels like what very loose skin/fat on a cat feels like. Is this what the beginnings of an udder would feel like?
    I can't go from memory with Tilly's pregnancy because, 1) my photographic memory ran out of film long ago, and 2) because I just went out there 1 day and it was there. I also thought Tilly had aborted so I wasn't watching for it.

I thought they started forming/filling udders 4 to 6 weeks before birth. She would be just a hair over 10 weeks or 71 days pregnant now, unless Jacob got to her right before he was put down. She is starting to look pregnant now with good a sized right side to match the left. I will take a picture sometime this week so I can compare it to a previous one I took.
    Andi

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, it will feel loose and since you do see changes, it's a good thing!

This could be an indication that she will be a very capacious milker...pics are helpful though.

BTW... I am having a great time with my mic!

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks Liz.
    I really am glad your having fun with it. They are fun and educational as it lets you see things going on with the goats before they actually show signs.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    by day 75 a FF udder especially can be felt to be forming.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks Stacey. Since she is forming something I am getting excited. I tried breeding her last year but she just wouldn't take. I really wanted babies from Jacob to see what he would throw, just didn't happen.