The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have someone that is new to goats that is wanting to buy some kids from me when they arrive and are weaned. This is my first time doing this, so please bare with me:)

Should I provide this checklist before the purchase occurs? I'm thinking yes, but if not what would be the reason?

Checklist:

Hay and grain - I will recommend noble goat to them, they could just buy hay from me when we get our field baled.

( I have noticed that a lot of people have the mis conception that if you have grass and weeds that will be enough for a goat. I disagree and my boys even get a little grain in the summer, not a lot but some)

Loose minerals. I'll provide them with Pro Manna as that is what I'm using now. (Copper bolus as well, I will give them some)

Also, hoof trims. I will be willing to help them with their first hoof trims to show them how to do it.

Vaccines. Since they will most likely leave here at 8 weeks the earliest I will already have given the 2 shots needed. They are supposed to get them yearly after that right?

Worming... Give a list of some meds... I usually use the Positive Pellets, but it has proven not to work so much with the boys. Safeguard, valbason, ivermec (sorry spelling is not good) sulmet for cocci

Anti toxins.... What are goods ones? I'm ashamed to admit buy I don't have any of this... I need to as well.

Anything else? Is this too much info, not enough?

Thanks in advance....

·
8,066 Posts
Make sure they know that goats can and will eat themselves to death on grain! (they don't have an "off switch")!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I like providing a little care sheet. It would look something like this.

(Name of goat)
(Picture)
Last hoof trimming: (should be trimmed every so often)
Current diet:
Reccomended hay/feeds:
Vaccinations:
Added info:

I also pass out links to TGS and Fias Co Farm.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like providing a little care sheet. It would look something like this.

(Name of goat)
(Picture)
Last hoof trimming: (should be trimmed every so often)
Current diet:
Reccomended hay/feeds:
Vaccinations:
Added info:

I also pass out links to TGS and Fias Co Farm.
Cool!! I don't know about anyone else in Western WA but I do hoof trims once a month, not sure why their hooves grow so quick here. Thank you for sharing. I wish I had a list when I first got my goats:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks so much, ThreeHavens, for your care sheet idea. I just used it with some adjustments for my own records and printed off enough sheets for each of our (5) goats.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I reccomend the "your goat" book that is available at most feed stores. Also the storey's goat book. The first is more general info, and is geared toward ffa and 4_h members, but we got alot of info from it. The second is more of an adult book. We also use a 3 ring binder with each goats info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts