The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what kind of Rennet to buy. This will be my first attempt at making cheese. What is easiest to use, lasts the longest and gives best results? I plan to order from Hoeggers later today. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
I'm very new to cheese making and everything I read said it was easier with liquid. So that was what I did and I had success the first time.

I would also encourage new cheesemakers to get "A Cheesemaker's Journey" by Mary Jane Toth. I had bought other books but was just afraid to try. Her steps are so easy to follow and it was wonderful having success the first time around.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I use vegetarian rennet in pill. I haven't had any issues with it, and you can freeze the tablets that make them last longer.

I don't have any experience with liquid rennet.

I also get my supplies at New England Cheesemaking Supply Company. they sell easy to use kits, and will respond if you have any issues/questions.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to start off easy- just making the mozzarella at first. I am also thinking about getting Thermophilic Starter Culture and the citric acid. Other than the book is there anything else?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I don't have a book. www.cheesemaking.com website has great recipes. I just go by that. I've made their 30 min mozzarella with goats milk with great success. i'm horrible at pulling cheese (very heavy handed), so the final product wasn't professional, but very edible and tasty!

I've also bought their yogurt cultures that were great. but now I just make kefir.

·
Registered
718 Posts
DANG IT! I asked the same question the other day and got different (and fewer) replies. I bought the tablets as they had a much longer shelf life. I think it said they were good for 2yrs, where the liquid said it was good for 6mo if properly refrigerated.

At least I think it was only 10 tablets... so I can try liquid next time. Just wasn't sure how much cheese I'd actually make in 6mo. I tend to jump into things like and get way in over my head. LOL "SURE I've got time to make 100lb of cheese, while working full time, being a single mom and tending to the goats and the garden! NO PROBLEM!!! I should get some sheep and start spinning my own wool to make my clothing with too! And maybe grow my own grain for flour!!" :p

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
The tablets can last up to 5 yrs if u put it in the freezer. I've had mine for almost 3 and they still work.

Don't forget u should grow some cotton too....just to even things out. Lol

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
You can use the liquid rennet longer than 6 months. You just have to make it stronger. You can test it to see how much you need.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I get the Organic Vegetable Rennet in liquid . The small bottle last me a long time and I make cheese about 3 to 4 times a week. It is also double strength, so when it calls for 1/2 tsp you only have to use 1/4. I did not know that the first bottle and my farmers cheese would come out small chunks. But now it comes out very soft and moist. Be careful on the other rennet stuff. It has some nasty ingredients in it.

Try making farmers cheese. It only takes about 30 minutes actual time and is ready to eat after it hangs.

Also, if you dont have kefir going, buy some buttermilk culture. You will need that to add to the ingredients.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/OrganicVegetableRennet.html

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah, I got vegetable rennet - but in tablets. Should be arriving today. I'm curious who ever thought to try putting animal rennet in milk to see what happens. ;) Of course... I wonder stuff like that about a lot of our food items. Jello being the other real "now WHO thought of THAT?" one. :)

Are there other ingredients your talking about though?

And what exactly is kefir? I've seen it... but have no idea what it is or what it's used for.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Yeah, I got vegetable rennet - but in tablets. Should be arriving today. I'm curious who ever thought to try putting animal rennet in milk to see what happens. ;) Of course... I wonder stuff like that about a lot of our food items. Jello being the other real "now WHO thought of THAT?" one. :)

Are there other ingredients your talking about though?

And what exactly is kefir? I've seen it... but have no idea what it is or what it's used for.
regular rennet comes from one of the stomachs of mammals. i bet you back in the day, someone slaughtered an animal, used one of the stomachs to store milk, and one day found that the milk had curdled. as for jello....i have no made up story on that one! lol

kefir is kind of like yogurt, and it's a fermented milk drink. there's no need to heat the milk like is required for yogurt. you can just put raw milk in a jar, put the kefir grains in it, mix, and leave it in a cupboard for 24 hrs - voila! kefir! strain, and repeat. super easy. it's not as thick as yogurt though, but you can strain the whey out to and have thicker kefir. the grains can keep forever, and multiply rigorously.

i use kefir for my morning smoothie. I've also strained it and used it as normal yogurt, made tzaziki with it, use it as sour cream, etc. I've also kefired cream and made kefired butter. SOOO good with sourdough!

btw - i like fermenting things!

·
Registered
24 Posts
... Of course... I wonder stuff like that about a lot of our food items. Jello being the other real "now WHO thought of THAT?" one. :)

r.
In my mis-spent youth I cooked in a barbecue restaurant and saw gelatin render out of bone-in meats many times. Sugaring and fruit flavoring it had to have been a leap, but maybe happened when a fruit glaze mixed with the gelatin in the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah... I just can't think why anyone would see that and think... "gee, let's add some fruit and sugar to that goop that came out of those bones and eat it for dessert!"

·
Registered
718 Posts
I started another thread with this? but maybe you know. Where do cheese cultures come from? As a vegetarian, do I need to be selective? Or are they all non animal based? I didn't realize they were needed for most hard cheese.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm new at cheese making too, about a year or so experience. So far I've had the best results with the vegetable liquid rennet.

Just had a nice turnout with a fresh batch of chèvre. Yum!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts