The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to attempt to make cheese this weekend but before I buy Rennet, culture and a cheese press I wanted to ask if it would even work since I don't have a Nubian. I have a Saanen/Nubian when I let her milk sit there is hardly an cream maybe 1/4 inch on the top after 2 days of sitting.

Does it matter that she's not full Nubian? Can I still make cheese with her milk?

Does it depend on the kind of cheese? I was just going to try a Chevre' this weekend but would like to try and make them all (except Gouda :sick:!)

On a related note I made a cheese without rennet just used fresh lemon juice and the curds were fine like sand. Does the rennet make a larger curd? or is her milk the problem?

·
Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie
159 Posts
I've never made cheese before, but I know that Nubians are certainly not the only breed you can make cheese with. I'm sure you can make cheese with your goat's milk. It might lack in a bit of flavor though. Hope that helped a bit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both! I thought I had heard that Nubian milk is high in butterfat and that makes for great cheese. I will try it I just didn't want to be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
You can make cheese with any milk... it just depends on the breed of animal as far as the yield you'll get per gallon.

I would highly recommend the book by Ricky Carrol titled Home Cheese Making
Easy to follow recipes using cow and goat as well as some sheep milk for cheeses

·
1,524 Posts
Any milk will make cheese. The only reason not much cream was on top is that goat milk does not separate like cows milk does. You'd be surprised at the amount of cream in milk once it goes thru a cream separator.

That book by Rikki Carroll is great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts